Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

He played his hand well up until the river push, fwiw. If you made your river play on the turn, you would have played your hand well.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:40 PM

I did get lucky in the hand...

I lucked out in the fact that the river card was a dud. There was nothing it could make or do that could threaten my straight and it couldn't make a flush for him if he was still drawing and of course, no board pair means no Full House threat.

In retrospect, that may have been the nudge that pushed me towards calling. Another scare card comes and I'm 90% sure I'd have checked again on the river and I'm certain I'd have probably folded to a river bet.

I should also mention, I didn't put him on the set. I really put him on a low flush and was just prepared to rebuy to see it. Best case scenario I thought it'd possibly be a chopped pot.

RB
Old 12-13-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did get lucky in the hand...

I lucked out in the fact that the river card was a dud. There was nothing it could make or do that could threaten my straight and it couldn't make a flush for him if he was still drawing and of course, no board pair means no Full House threat.

In retrospect, that may have been the nudge that pushed me towards calling. Another scare card comes and I'm 90% sure I'd have checked again on the river and I'm certain I'd have probably folded to a river bet.

I should also mention, I didn't put him on the set. I really put him on a low flush and was just prepared to rebuy to see it. Best case scenario I thought it'd possibly be a chopped pot.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, best case a split? seriously? i dont think i would have even considered folding on the river. i probably would have bet the turn anyway.

also, i wouldnt have put him on a low flush, or a set. i would have put him on a range that includes sets and low flushes. when he checks the turn i would put much less weight on the flushes. don't be so quick to rule out possibilities and put your opponent on a specific holding like that.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: a very important 1/2 hand from Vegas last week - did I blow this?.

[ QUOTE ]
I see 6’s trip up a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get this either.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see 6’s trip up a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get this either.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, wasn't the dude drunk and bad? wtf? why are you putting him on these narrow hand ranges?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:41 PM

I beat him into the pot.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM

I was probably scared cause the table was too unpredictible and two hrs prior I lost an all-in when I was a 91% favorite. (possibly even 95% fav. though I doubt it) - I probably was a little gunshy for awhile after that. I didn't tilt, but I tightened up a bit - (and loosened up - it's hard to explain - I'll get it in a mega post coming soon.)

That and some of my success at this type of NL game - (the loose Vegas 1/2 NL with drunks) focuses a lot on flopping big hands and getting bluffed into and It wasn't a big big hand to me once that 3rd heart hit..

That's why I'm asking...I'm learning.

RB
Old 12-13-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my success at this type of NL game focuses a lot on flopping big hands and getting bluffed into

[/ QUOTE ]

whiskeytown - this has become my strategy as well. it is not working. holla.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:41 PM

it only seems to work in games with serious LAG's, bro.

In Vegas I had to do a 180 suddenly again. I had gotten used to the tight-aggressive action of tourneys where an opportunity bet can pick up the pot and it wasn't working in Vegas. Lots of calls, lots of rundowns everywhere, very few folds - you really had to have the best hand to win it in these 1/2 NL games so I played that way.

Truth is, this type of game plays perfect to the old Whiskeytown - tight and partially passive and gets paid off on big hands instead of betting/bluffing at small ones because someone at the table loves to push all in. I had a previous one that week at Paris where I got KK - flop comes Q84 - I bet and get an all in - I call and he has AQ and no help comes, but this drunk was overbetting and pushing EVERY pot with top pair. There's another blogger who was there who may write about it.

I can't say which is right/wrong or a better way of winning but in Vegas it was almost always +EV for me and I only lost big pots to suckouts and rundown. It works on most NL online games too - There - I've given away my strategy for success at cheap NL games. 10/25 are a TOTALLY NOTHER MATTER. - I'm not even confident enough in my BR or my game to play 2/5 again. I'm working on it but this is my best game and the only one I made any money in this year besides single table SNG's - my Limit game was dying and my tourney game was blown this year.

If I THOUGHT I had the best hand I almost never folded. This hand was questionable - the one I was a 91% favorite I'll call every time of the week and twice on Sun.

I dunno....I've got to play some more online NL and refine my game - I've got a lot of stuff to work on and focus thru though. Fortunately my lack of a social life gives me lots of free time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB