Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Default 20/40: Semi-bluffing and then calling down

Villain is an okay 20/40 regular.

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls

4th Street - (4.95 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.48 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.48 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.48 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (11.48 BB)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 20/40: Semi-bluffing and then calling down

Looks good, I like the raise on fifth even though he's got the kings. On sixth there is a good chance he filled up but I'm still calling it down. I don't really see anything I would change.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:07 PM

Putting this out for discussion: if you don't catch an 8, do you consider folding 6th? What about calling 6th and then folding if he follows through on the river (particularly if you don't catch the 8, but possibly even though you do)? Your 6th street call is clearly stating you can beat kings up and OP said this player was decent.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 PM

I probably play it the same. There are two things I will point out and that I might try if I know the player fairly well. The first being that against some players you can raise sixth here and be willing to fold to a 3-bet. It take stones for him to come back over the top. However, a very good player might know to simply call your raise ( acting like hes not full yet but holds some hand like QQ/JJ in the pocket ) and then check-raise you on the river. The second thing is that against most soild players you can simply fold when they bet the river here. The fact that you have a flush should be obvious and he usually shouldnt have a reason to think you'll fold it once you called sixth. This of course assumes that this player dosent think you're capable of tough folds.

Mike Emery
Old 12-20-2005, 09:02 PM

Consider folding on his reraise on 3rd, since he probably has you beat at that point with a higer buried pair. Doing this, you will not have deal with making second best hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 PM

I play everything the same except for 5th street. I love the free card play and all, but this really shouldn't be attempted when your opponent has a pair of kings showing. Its too likely that he'll 3 bet 5th street or just call and bet 6th street. I know you raise with 3 flushes and all but if I was him I'd probably call and just bet into you on 6th as long as you don't hit a spade.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:18 PM

See 7CS4AP for discussion of why folding on third is incorrect. In this case, there is even more incentive to call on third, because if the other guy does have a big pair underneath, it's at least partially dead. Also, I think that at this level, even with the small ante, you're going to see re-steals once in a while, so there's some chance that hero has the best hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its too likely that he'll 3 bet 5th street or just call and bet 6th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grant you I haven't played $20/40 on Party (yet), but I just don't people doing either very often. This free-card play is powerful precisely because it works almost every time. The only reason it didn't work this time is that the other guy got hit between the eyes.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 PM

You might consider a fold, although I don't think I've ever actually folded a flush. Thing is, can the other guy really have hero beaten? Did he really make it two bets on third with split Eights? He can't really have a King in the hole. I think the other guy's hand is dead enough that you have to pay this one off.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider folding on his reraise on 3rd, since he probably has you beat at that point with a higer buried pair. Doing this, you will not have deal with making second best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Third is an easy call.

It is quite possible I am stealing, and he knows that. Consequently, he will probably reraise here with a number of hands. These hands include split 8s (with or without overcard kicker), medium pocket pairs (like 7s and 6s), and three flushes. Of course, his range also includes big pairs. But note the two dead As, one dead K, and one dead Q. I have a jack, so his most likely big pair is TT in the hole, which I'm not in bad shape against because of the overcard J and being able to outplay him later in the hand. He might even have something as weak as (T9)8.