Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM

Default $109s - AK Hand

My only note says "Will bluff".

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t925)
MP1 (t1135)
MP2 (t1915)
CO (t770)
Button (t925)
SB (t1150)
Hero (t2315)
UTG (t865)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t225) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t425) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90.

River: (t605) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t175</font>, Hero calls t175.

Final Pot: t955
Old 11-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: $109s - AK Hand

I really don't like playing AK unimproved for value here. Did you not raise the turn because you thought he'd call anyway with the hands you were ahead of (AJ, KJ, other drawish garbage)?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:06 PM

Up until the river I think you chose the best option on every street. There are certainly many options on the turn, but in the context of this SNG I don't think you want to burn any unnecessary chips.

You can't lead at the river, because a worse hand will not fold. Same rationale for a c/r.

That leaves check-call and check-fold as your only good choices. His bet amount betrayed him. Call that mofo down.

Irieguy
Old 11-23-2005, 06:10 PM

Yeah, I think this is the best line, a re-raise preflop is another option, but probably unnecessary and will just bloat the pot. It depends how loose he is though. If you think he will call a reraise with AJs for instance you probably should do it? Although, it might make flop play more difficult.

Post flop is pretty much the ideal way to play against an opponent who will bluff regularly.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Up until the river I think you chose the best option on every street. There are certainly many options on the turn, but in the context of this SNG I don't think you want to burn any unnecessary chips.

You can't lead at the river, because a worse hand will not fold. Same rationale for a c/r.

That leaves check-call and check-fold as your only good choices. His bet amount betrayed him. Call that mofo down.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

why not reraise the flop and take control of the hand?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:11 PM

He will now add a note on you saying "calling station". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are in perfect control already. You can regain betting impetus... but that will cost chips and I don't mind the way the hand is going at all on the flop.

Irieguy
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are in perfect control already. You can regain betting impetus... but that will cost chips and I don't mind the way the hand is going at all on the flop.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

ADD:

- If he's bluffing I certainly don't want to interrupt the enemy while he's making a mistake.
- If he's actually being a dick with a real hand I don't want to get raised off my 3 nut, 1 probable, and 6 possible winning outs.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 PM

Raising would be stupid here at any point except preflop, and even then, after some thought, I'm not sure I like it.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

ADD:

- If he's bluffing I certainly don't want to interrupt the enemy while he's making a mistake.
- If he's actually being a dick with a real hand I don't want to get raised off my 3 nut, 1 probable, and 6 possible winning outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I play this exactly the same. Villain seems to be a donk so you just can't fold the river for that small a bet.

Betting impetus, haven't heard that phrase in a while.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

All this omfg content is making my head spin. I think I'll go check out the latest commentary on Yugo's trip report.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]