Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Going from4 to 8 tables, transition question

What kind of ROI drop can I expect going to 8 tables in the $55's after I've gotten used to having 4 more tables? How about the $33's?

Also how hard is the transition and how long does it typicaly take? I plan on dropping down to the $11's and playing until I've won ten buy ins before moving up. I'm going to do this for the $22's and the $33's as well. Any other info on this transition will be greatly appreciated. *FWIW-I will have a two 2001fp set up.

Thanks

***Edit, I do plan on moving up to 6 first. I just want to know what to expect at 8.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Going from4 to 8 tables, transition question

You should first move to 6 tables and get used to that before moving to 8, and it's not even close!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:37 PM

I do plan on moving up to 6 first. I just want to know what to expect at 8.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM

You can't "expect" anything. Poker's not anything like that. You play the best you can, and sometimes the money flows in, sometimes it flows out. Add two tables and see how that goes. When you're comfortable, add two more.

Nobody can predict how 8-tabling will turn out for you. The only thing you can expect is less time to make decisions.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't "expect" anything. Poker's not anything like that. You play the best you can, and sometimes the money flows in, sometimes it flows out. Add two tables and see how that goes. When you're comfortable, add two more.

Nobody can predict how 8-tabling will turn out for you. The only thing you can expect is less time to make decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I know I've heard this a million times and it's BS. I have a rough estimation of my ROI and I can generally trust it to give me an idea of how much money I can expect to have after a few thousand sngs. I'm asking people how ROI was affected for them after getting used to eight tables with the assumption that it is natually going to decrease. I realize that I am an idividual and I don't expect any of you to nail it to down to a percentage point. I just want some *very* rough number so I can decide whether to move up or to add tables. I realize I won't know anything 100% until I try it myself but I think you underestimate how useful various rough estimates can be for me.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 PM

My transition went like this. I 4-tabled the 22's for a couple of months (just started playing SnG's full-time about 3.5 months ago). I was playing on a crappy CRT. When I had access to enough spare money, I bought two 2001FP's during a special.

The first thing I did was go straight to 8-tabling. I knew this was not a good idea, but I wanted to sort of "shock" my system into the kind of speed it would take. Not surprisingly, I went 0-for-8. So...as I was planning on doing either way, I dropped down to 6 tables and played that way for about 2 weeks. When 6 felt slow (ie- I found myself browsing the net, keeping an eye on the game, etc.), I moved back up to 8. First couple of sets were difficult, but I was much better adjusted this time.

Now, only a couple weeks into full-time 8-tabling, it feels pretty easy. I'm used to the speed, my reactions are quicker, etc. Sure, when I find myself on the bubble in 8 games all at once it gets a little hectic, but nothing that can't be handled.

Nevertheless, the only way to find out how it'll work for you is for you to give it a try.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want some *very* rough number so I can decide whether to move up or to add tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

+/- 200%
Old 11-03-2005, 08:59 PM

It really depends. For instance I have overlap when I 8 table and I ocasionaly make misclicks( im still getting used to 8 tabling)
Old 11-03-2005, 09:00 PM

I actually found the switch to 8 pretty easy. Just got a 2001 fp about 1.5 months ago to add to my 1901fp (I can't wait to upgrade that one to a 2001, theres such a huge difference) and I pretty much dove right in to 8 tabling. When I 4 tabled, it never held my attention enough and I always surfed 2+2 and other sites. Moving to 8 actually makes me pay more attention. My ROI has dropped 2-3 % points in a very small sample size, but $/hr has gone way up. Just get your monitor, start messing around and do whatevers comfortable for you. None of us can predict how you'll adjust to the faster decisions.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 PM

Do you think that your ROI is lower now that you are used to it than it was when you were 4 tableing? Can you estimate how much it dropped if it did go down? I would be happy with a confidence of only 25% on that number, I just need something rough to aid my decision to move up or play more tables right now.

Thanks a lot for your other comments, they were extremely useful.