Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-18-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Race or Stop&Go?

I've had this situation several times and am looking for recommendations as to which is the better play in the long run.

Late in a STT ($22-$55), 4-handed. Blinds are 150-300. Stacks are generally even, and you are a slight chip leader (you=3000,UTG=2500,B=2000,SB=2500)

You're in the BB with a small pair, 66.

The button open-raises to 900 and the SB folds. More likely than not he has a couple of high cards or Ax, although pairs are possible also -- Let's put his range as 55+,A2+,K9+,QT+,JT.

Yes, the button should have open-pushed but didn't. He is pot committed though.

In this situation, would you raise all in preflop and take your chances as a likely 55% favorite or do you pull a stop and go hoping that the Button will fold if he misses the flop? I'd think you'll have more FE on the flop in this situation since most flops miss most hands. You may even get a middle pair higher than yours to fold if there are scare cards on the flop (would you really want to call all-in on the flop with 99 if the flop is AQx).

Or, is the button likely to call with high cards regardless because he's pot committed? Would you be better off folding preflop and waiting for a more favorable situation?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Race or Stop&Go?

Depends. Most often, you should just fold. However, if you choose to S&G, are you doing it on *any* flop or just a raggy flop?

I think you get yourself into a sticky mess when you decide to stop and go. Are you doing it on ace high flops so that he folds mid pairs? Or are you doing it on raggy flops so that he folds ace high???
Old 09-18-2005, 05:03 AM

Well, that's part of the question... I think one of my leaks is that I have been racing on the bubble as only a slight favorite and after losing the coinflip I'm caught as the short stack and barring catching cards I'm OTM.

I'd definitely do a S&G on a raggy flop. Most likely on a board with high cards but no A. Most likely not on an ace high flop, since that's the button's most likely holding.

Ideally, the goal is to get the Button to fold more hands. If I raise all-in preflop the Button will call, but possibly he'd fold on the flop if he missed...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 AM

fold>sng>allin
Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 AM

I would just fold as I think his range is tighter than the one you're giving him. Unless he seems to not understand pot committment, his half-stack raise looks somewhat scary to me.