Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-18-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: 109- AK limp raise

Meh TPTK is pretty good with AK at almost any level in a raised pot and your usually getting called by a lot of junk aces on A high flops. Thats the advantage of raising and hitting a flop with an ace or king. Also you could take the blinds down even if it is from UTG.

The thing about limping which sucks is having it checked through and hitting an A or K high flop with a lot of action or a scarryish board in a multiway pot. While missing the flop and being forced to check fold with a hand as strong as AK sucks its not horrific as you haven't invested a lot in the hand.

As for the the advantages of being all in vs seeing a flop...you don't have to play the hand OOP you get to see all 5 cards and you get a lot of hands to fold with dead money in the pot, your often called by a worse hand that might bluff into you and force you to fold a missed flop IE AQ, AJ, KQ even...people really suck, also your not getting total value out of your hand if someone holds AQ or KQ or lower if you both check down these hands on a missed flop. I think this play might be just as or more profitbale at the 11's as a lot of hands with an A or K might raise. So will alot of PP's which probably won't fold. I think it's definatly a play to be made only occasionaly and in the right situation's...I wouldn't get to FPS with it but it's something to try occasionly.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 AM

I could be wrong but I like this play better at 11s as opposed to 100s as you will often get called by AQ, AJ, AT and even less.

I'm with the majority though, I raise here every time, maybe I should mix it up a bit, yes I think from now on I will limp here 1% of the time lol.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:47 AM

I will make this play rarely with AKs. I think you will get good results on this move alone, plus you will get more action on limp/rr with AA and KK.

109 have a lot of the same players who will exploit you so if you want to limp utg with weak hands you are going to have to limp with some big hands, IMO.