Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: JTo on the button 6max

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to be too picky either, but just for clarity, the T is the card of interest, not the J, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, pretend everything that we say refers to the T, not the J. Good catch. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Krishan
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Preflop call is good. So is the flop and turn.

River I would bet if checked to. Call a lead bet by MP, fold to a check/raise.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Raise. Your not getting bet into often enough, and your hand is not nearly strong enough to slowplay 3 handed. Plus raising helps to define your hand on the cheaper street.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) Calling on the flop with the intention of raising on the turn is *not* a slowplay. It is actually a hand protection line.

b) Defining your hand is a terrible reason to raise. Why would you *want* to define your hand? I can see raising for the reasons of value or protection (or even, more rarely, information) but not to define your hand? I'm curious whether you meant something else.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:23 PM

I would raise preflop, but then again, my pfr is way too high (pushing 18), particularly in comparison to my VPIP (like, <23).
Old 05-12-2005, 04:23 PM

o rite...spider splits tens up w/ A kicker vs KT or QT etc...

so, even more then, i check behind if checked to. an A will either bet or check/raise so if he tries a check-raise better to just get the free showdown. same for 6x...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:01 PM

good discussion on the river. PF, i could be convinced to raise.. i'll try it next time. i often do, but against this opponent and non-tight blinds, i chose against.

=====================
=====================

RESULTS:

Villian bet the river, I called and he tables T8o. Splitsville.

=====================
=====================
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raising the flop is far superior to waiting. Waiting is bad. All this talk these days on the forum about waiting for the turn...much of it is misguided. There are too many overcards that can come on the turn that would make you no longer like your hand, so you have to raise for value now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the whole point of waiting until the turn? With a vulnerable hand that will often be ruined by the turn card, and which you cannot protect, you should pass up a +EV play on the flop for an even bigger +EV play on the turn.

However, we still should raise the flop in the original hand because there's no guarantee that the passive bettor will bet again on the turn. Also, as you said, a good card on the turn doesn't increase our equity as much as we would like, since our equity on the flop is still relatively big, since only 3 overcards can come, and there are no straight or flush possibilities.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:49 PM

i dont mind the poor folding equity. you arent going to be that huge of a dog against donkeys even with jack high.

[ QUOTE ]
i think the toughest choice of the hand. i think i might fold if this was my last hand at the table and i might call if i wanted a better read at the beginning of a long session.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree - except your reasoning is interesting. shouldnt it be the same regardless? i mean you might run into this dude again right?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:50 PM

either way its just gambling. gamble on the flop or on the turn. forgive me for sounding superficial.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
either way its just gambling. gamble on the flop or on the turn. forgive me for sounding superficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying this about the OP's situation or about all flop situations where you have top pair and there is a bet and some callers in front of you?