Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Default I don\'t get it....

Hmm... I just recieved $50 each in two party accounts (I dont play there anymore) and I cant withdraw the money without playing 500 raked hands for each $50. So I decided to play PL $25 Omaha Hi. Well anyway, I don't really get where the skill comes in in Omaha. I mean even at the PL $25s, people play loose-passive preflop, which is ok, but then tight-agressive after the flop. And any time there is almost ANY pot sized bet at all, you can be sure over 85% the bettor has the nuts or a big draw. And if there is a raise, then you can be over 98% sure that the raiser has the nuts (or a full house if the flop is paired).
Well anyway, my question is, where does the skill come in? I mean you just wait for good/drawing hands and then once you hit the nuts (or a good hand with redraws) on the flop, you bet out. When do you ever bluff in Omaha? When do you slowplay? In my opinion, both of those questions can be answered in two words: almost never. I know it's possible to make a living off Omaha, and I heard the PL $25's are a gold mine... but the game itself.. is it this stale and predictable or am I missing something here?
Another thing, people say 'dont play with danglers' well thats kinda hard when over 95% of the hands are not perfect without any danglers. I mean I played for more than an hour two tabling and I think the best drawing hand I got (that was capable of winning) was 5522.
Thanks...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: I don\'t get it....

If a bet means the nuts 85% of the time at a $25 table then you are not exercising good table selection
Old 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Wow, all this after ~150 hands.

5-5-2-2 isn't a drawing hand, its a piece of crap hand.

Before worrying about when to bluff or slowplay, you might want to focus on hand selection and patience. In those super loose small stakes games where a high percentage of pots see a showdown, you are going to need have the nuts (or pretty close to it) on the river.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, all this after ~150 hands.

5-5-2-2 isn't a drawing hand, its a piece of crap hand.

Before worrying about when to bluff or slowplay, you might want to focus on hand selection and patience. In those super loose small stakes games where a high percentage of pots see a showdown, you are going to need have the nuts (or pretty close to it) on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can make two sets with it, and if the 52 are suited, you can make a wheel straight flush.

rite?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM

what? is it try PLO for the First Time Day?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:47 AM

Well I've tried it before, but never where I realized the play of the game... Anyway, thanks to chimichonga for the only one trying to help me... I'll try to be more patient next time I play.

BTW, I don't mean to flame Omaha in any way... I was just looking for some insight.. any beginners tips would be appreciated, too.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM

In terms of trying not to inflame the people on this part saying "I dont see any skill in Omaha" is usually not taken nicely.
However, in lower-limits nut-peddling is a common thing. I think that this is a fine winning strategy for lower limits (especially limit Oh). I think that if people are nut-peddling this much overall at the table then u should be more aggressive and start stealing on later streets or raising to get hands down to heads up or something like that. Push people around or tighten up and nut-peddle with everyone else.
Also, you can limp in with hands like QQxx, KKxx for set value and so forth. Also, umm ... why are you playing 5522? Unless ur in the bb for no extra charge.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, umm ... why are you playing 5522? Unless ur in the bb for no extra charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, cause I'm a nub at omaha... I also realized that raising preflop actually helps alot in terms of winning the hand without the nuts because most people will fold their hands on the flop for a pot sized bet if u raised preflop. I was limping in with hands such as AKJ9, which I think I should be raising with...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, cause I'm a nub at omaha... I also realized that raising preflop actually helps alot in terms of winning the hand without the nuts because most people will fold their hands on the flop for a pot sized bet if u raised preflop. I was limping in with hands such as AKJ9, which I think I should be raising with...

[/ QUOTE ]
This info may be useful to you:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] wins 19.5% against 8 opponents (all see river)
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] wins 16.5% against 8 opponents (all see river)
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] wins 13.9% against 8 opponents (all see river)
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] wins 13.0% against 8 opponents (all see river)
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] wins 11.0% against 8 opponents (all see river)

Suitedness counts a lot more preflop in Omaha than in Hold 'Em.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Silent Acorns did not scream
Tho' the hand played out like some bad dream
Getting allin with top set he was happy about
Until came the river and the gutshot that TheRempel did suckout.