Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Health Insurance Question for fulltime players

Death Valley's post about being hospitalized for a week really got me worried. I've been playing full time for about a year now, and I'm still young enough to think I'm invincible so I've procrastinated on getting health insurance.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best health insurance plan is. I talked to some dude a month ago or so, but he seemed way to anxious to sign me up. Not sure if he just gets a finder's fee or a lifetime cut of my payments, but I had a feeling he was recommending the company that gave him the best kickback. Is there any company that stands out way above the rest, like ING for savings, or Progressive for car insurance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

by the way, I don't have any health problems. E.R. coverage would probably suffice.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Health Insurance Question for fulltime players

get married [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Death Valley's post about being hospitalized for a week really got me worried. I've been playing full time for about a year now, and I'm still young enough to think I'm invincible so I've procrastinated on getting health insurance.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best health insurance plan is. I talked to some dude a month ago or so, but he seemed way to anxious to sign me up. Not sure if he just gets a finder's fee or a lifetime cut of my payments, but I had a feeling he was recommending the company that gave him the best kickback. Is there any company that stands out way above the rest, like ING for savings, or Progressive for car insurance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

by the way, I don't have any health problems. E.R. coverage would probably suffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

From 2000 - 2004, all I did was play poker, travel around the world and goof off. I thought I was invincible, saw no need for health insurance and blew my mom off when she would send me emails and little notes with information about health insurance. For 4 years I never had a need for it.
In 2004 I went to work at Wynn and picked up health insurance. Last month I ended up in emergency surgery with a ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for 4 days and out of work for 2 weeks. Last week I got the last bill, a grand total of just over $50,000.
Coincidentally tomorrow is my last day at Wynn, I am going back to playing, traveling and goofing off. I will definately have health insurance this time around, and I would advise anyone else to do the same thing.
Blue Cross Blue Shield has been recomended to me. Look for something that covers major medical, unless you are looking for a plan that covers the small stuff too.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 PM

Health insurance products are structured by the state you live in, so the coverage provided by a major national firm such as Aetna or Blue Cross can vary widely depending where you live.

Individual plans for the most part stink compared to the big national plans offered to employees of major corporations. The coverage is less, deductibles higher, and premiums are far higher.

Some states will let you get a small discount by filing for health insurance as a "group of one" or sole proprietor, if you file taxes with a Schedule C and/or get 1099 (independent contractor) income. Some states also offer subsidized health plans, but qualification is often based on income; New York is <$25k for individuals, i.e. poverty level.

Your best bet is to do research on the web pertaining to your state, then talk to several agents. Back when I was looking, I found most were either uneducated or didn't care, since my individual coverage was a waste of time for them (they make their money selling to large groups). I'm personally leery of the "ER only" plans since non-ER issues can still make you miserable and poor too.

Don't skimp. I pay over $5000 a year for my individual coverage in New York (tax deductible if you file a Schedule C), and although the only doctor's visit I had in the last 12 months was my annual physical, the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:11 PM

Thanks so much guys for your replies. Just for the record, I'm in Wa state if anybody can recommend it. Thanks in advance.

r.g.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:35 PM

I'm also shopping...I found www.ehealthinsurance.com via google. Don't know much about the site (and personally I don't think I'll order health insurance via the internet), but it looks like a good place to get started for informational purposes.

J
Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM

I am 25 and healthy and a full time pro.
My advice is you MUST get health insurance!

Its usually around 100$ a month, and one of things that you hope you never need. But could you imagine having your entire bankroll wiped b/c of an accident?

Or worse, not being able to afford something b/c of lack of insurance?

I go through Kaiser which makes mine around 125$ a month, but there are cheaper alternatives.

-SC
Old 07-07-2005, 08:16 PM

I am an insurance agent in arizona. If you travel to poker tournaments in different states. I think blue cross blue shield might be a good alternative since you may use there preferred provider networks in any of the states. They are also going to be there to service you when you need them. I might also suggest an HSA which is a combination of a high deductible health insurance plan and a tax advantaged savings plan that can be used to pay your medical, dental or even vision needs with pretax dollars or used for retirement in the future. If you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer them.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 PM

Could you give us a quick overview of how a HSA works (or perhaps more importantly how to get one), it's something I want to do (I have a general idea how they work) I just don't know how to go about signing up.

Thanks,
J
Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 PM

I posted this in another thread and got no replies, I would like some [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am still on my parents insurance so I am rather ignorant on this issue.

But I can still make an anology that is up for criticism.

Insurance is essentially playing a lower limit game with an unbeatable rake structure because you don't want to maintain the becesary BR for the big game.

Does anyone here just essentially pay themselves premiums in a designated "health" account? THis would avoid the rake.