Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Does this happen to others?

Among my friends I'm the most interested in poker, both reading about theory and actually playing. However, when it comes to playing games, they suddenly become experts.

Despite this though, they always seem to do something which absolutely amazes me. Imagine a few players see the flop. The first player to act, if he has a bad band, often says "I fold"!!! All they have to do is check, but for some reason they fold. It's unbelievable.

I'm curious to know whether anyone else finds this when playing against rookies?

(BTW, I do point their mistake out first time they do it, but if they do it again I dont mention- it's their fault.)
Old 05-30-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Does this happen to others?

Get in the habit of NOT pointing out mistakes, it will serve you well as you progress.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:11 PM

Happens a ton during home games. I hate it, specially when im trying to isolate or force someone out of the pot, they call thinking they have nothing, then they realize they have a flush! Deadmoney is almost unblffable and it pisses me off. From now on, i just dont tell rookies when they make a mistake.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:02 PM

I agree, one of my big leaks I think is trying to coach the table and tell everyone how good of a play I just made even though I lost the pot. I think shutting my mouth would increase my profit a lot. Hopefully I can keep quiet! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 07:09 PM

That is why I've given up with playing against some of my friends. Have do not know what the **** they are doing and it is quite annoying. I can't make reads on them and never know what they are doing, well they don't know what their doing either. So I switched to another poker group that actually knows how to play. It is a million times better and I play much better with less frustration. I told them about how my old friends would fold being first to act or sometimes say "I call" when their first to act. They almost wet themselves they were laughing so hard.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:06 PM

This happens to me as well. Maybe a little different scenario. As Im sure that this happens to others as well. Rookies play a lot more flops and don't mind callin your preflop raises with crap hands like 2/6o or q/6o. They see paint and it looks like Aces. More than often they get lucky. I see a lot of calls with bottom or middle pair with horrible kickers yet always seem to get the 2pair or boat. But i go into these games expecting this type of play so I tend to not play with amateurs at home games. It almost impossible to avoid amateurs playing online because anyone can get lucky and up their bankroll $1k and then go on to 5/10 or 10/20 games (bodog). Yet they see they have all this "extra money" yet continue to play poorly and sloppily as they have done. This making more veteran players question their "so so" hands when they have middle paid w/ multiple outs when they're against bottom pair w/ one maybe two outs, yet the poorer hand either goes all in for their remaining $400-$500 or makes a big raise that that the veteran may not want to stick around and find out. Moral of the story. Play more home games and amateurs shouldnt play high stakes poker.