Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Was i right here to risk it all with KK ?

i am at the final talbe of a $50 buy in 20 person tournament. top 4 get paid.

7 players left
starting stack is 1000, i have 1150
blinds 75-150
i am the Big Blind

i look down and see pocket Kings. its folded around to the button who pushes immediately all in for 950. action to small blind who thinks a very long time. he has about 1400 in chips. he finally decides to call. while he was thinking i am telling myself that i have to call with this hand regardless of what he does. i did not put either one on Aces. Small blind was a very loose agressive player and the Button was a very solid player who played strong hands. if he had Aces he would have probably min raised seeing that everyone had folded before him. Plus i saw him limp twice before with AK trying to trap.

I go all in with KK. it is 200 more to the SB and he calls so three way action. Button flips over 88 and SB flips over AK clubs. im thinking to myself that i have to be a slightly small favorite here because i am up agasint 2 very good hands. but i need to get lucky for it to hold up.

Flop is As Qc 5c. pretty much ending it for me i need the case king. strangely enough the turn is the 8c. so even if the SB never called i would have lost to a set of eights. river doesnt pair the board and AK takes down 2 players at once and ends up finishing 3rd place.

was it just bad luck for me here? or should I have folded my KK and waited for something else later. If i triple up here then i would be looking very good. there was 1 short stack left who pushed on the very next hand and got 5th. should i have just folded and tried to play for 4th? Any help appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Was i right here to risk it all with KK ?

durrr durrrrr
Old 11-23-2005, 07:17 PM

"i did not put either one on Aces"

"or should I have folded my KK and waited for something else later."

folding here would be atrocious.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 PM

good. thats my thought but i dont know what the correct play is while on the bubble. thanks.

but is there ever a time where you would fold Kings preflop?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good. thats my thought but i dont know what the correct play is while on the bubble. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

play to win. the only thing the bubble should change in your play, is that you should be more aggressive and take advantage of the players just trying to make the money.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:24 PM

You're just being results oriented. That is a must-push. Here's pokerstove data (assuming that the 88 had one live flush draw as did you as well).

1,370,754 games 0.080 secs 17,134,425 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 30.0512 % 29.74% 00.31% { AcKc }
Hand 2: 50.2181 % 49.91% 00.31% { KdKh }
Hand 3: 19.7306 % 19.65% 00.08% { 8h8s }
Old 11-23-2005, 07:26 PM

Sheesh, cry me a river. I think you know perfectly well that not calling here would be terrible. You played it fine, unless you think that with 7 BBs left you should be waiting for AA to put it all on the table.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 PM

I don't know how you can be here a year and ask if you should fold KK with 7 BB left. You are never folding here, apart from a satellite situation. Never.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 PM

ok thanks for the replies. this is actually my first multi table tournament that i have played in. I am strictly a cash game player. It was an obvious push to me but i was just not familiar with bubble strategy here. thanks.