Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 09-25-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Post College Depression

goto www.wattstapes.com
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, the major source of pain and problems in my life has been poor sleep. Again and again, I find myself sleepy, half-awake, frustrated and moody, all due to my sleep deprivation. And as a young person, just about everyone in the planet, including myself, expects me to be able to function at peak performance no matter how much sleep I've gotten. In the rest of my life, I really have it all. I have a job that is like a waking dream, I am doing very well at poker, I have all kinds of nice things, I lead an interesting and rich life, I have terrific friends and family who call me and visit on a regular basis. Yet, I can often feel horribly depressed. And the reason always goes back to sleep deprivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful!!! You have stumbled on the most preious gem--in fact the secret to a happy life as I know it. Don't go telling everbody! Seriously though, that is so f-ing true.

I salute you JohnnyHumongous, you are truly wise beyond your years.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:59 AM

Sounds good to me. If it seems to be working then keep doing it I'd say...

I'm 38 now and went through a major depression spell from age 29 to 32. In a nutshell my problem was that society was pushing me to go in directions I didn't want to go, and I didn't know why. Making money was always easy (in terms of intellectual challenge, not necessarily energy output), but it always seemed like the wrong things were being rewarded. Basically to make decent money you had to either be a whore or sell your soul to the devil in some metaphorical way.

Then I stumbled on the Unabomber's Manifesto

http://www.thecourier.com/manifest.htm

It made me realize that you COULD reject everything modern society stands for, and still be an intelligent, valuable human being.

After a great deal of reflection, long discussions with friends, good and bad relationships with various women, I have finally reached a point where I can confidently represent the anti-society side and am able to articulate noble goals for myself and family.

I don't know if the same road is right for you, but just in case I thought I'd share my story and the UM.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:21 AM

Relying on poker for a living is stressful. If you don't thrive on stress its not a good idea.

Imagine working on an assembly line in a factory and doing exactly the same work every day, but the end of the week your paycheck is a random number, not revealed in advance.

Sometimes, its a nice fat paycheck, but sometimes, even though you work just as hard every week, its a negative number. The factory actually made YOU pay to work there that week. And they might do it again next week, you can't be sure...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:38 AM

This thread is turning into fight club.

"We're the middle children of history, with no special purpose or place.
We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression.
The great depression is our lives. The great war is a spiritual war."

"We were raised by television to believe that someday we'll all be
millionaires and movie stars and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're
learning that fact."

-blake
Old 09-26-2005, 10:35 AM

Excellent analogy...

I'll have to remember this the next time I try to convey to someone just how stressful it is playing poker for a living.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Your post is very moving in its honesty. I am 10-15 years older than I'm guessing you must be, but I do remember the pressure I felt as my college graduation approached and immediately after I graduated. I don't know if it was society's expectations or my own, but I do recognize it now as the just the general pressure to be something. At that time I thought the period of my life that I was alloted to become something was over and it was time to be someone or something.

Well, now that I'm older I realize that there aren't really mile markers that tell you when you've become the person you're supposed to be. Being happy, and being "someone" takes work, and you never reach a moment when you can stop working and say, "well, I'm here now, I can relax." Every time you figure one thing out, life throws you another curve, and you have to figure something else out. But this is a good thing because once you realize that you can never "master" life, you're free to be happy with who you are at the stage of life you're in at the moment.

Good luck. Never forget that anything worth having is worth working for, including happiness, and self-acceptance.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also thinking of volunteering at the nursing home my mother works at, just a few hours a week, to have an activity where I interact with others. I was thinking about a part time job but I don't really need the crappy pay I'd be getting and I don't want to be committed to certain hours each week.

For my last thing I'll just say this. I really feel the key to life is forming and maintaining relationships. And not just sexual relationships. I mean relationships with friends and family. Next time your at the table don't be afraid to ask the person next to you where he is from. Say hello to the stranger in the elevator. Smile to the grocery store cashier as she rings up your food. Send a random message to old friends and ask how they are doing. I am finding these things go a long way in life, and I feel that everything else will just fall into place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there. For someone who does nto discuss your feelings, this is pretty good soul-searching. Specifically, I like these last two paragraphs that I've quoted above. Yes, do volunteer. Helping other people will bring your peace in a way that money can never do. Also, I think that your seeing that personal relationships are so crucial is quite mature. Cultivate the relationships that you have, and strive to be a good person in the world. Happiness and fulfillment are simple things. But it's hard and complicated work to get there sometimes.

gl2u

Marlow
Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 PM

Im a terrible example
I gradauted college and [censored] off for a few months planning to scalp Yankees playoff tickets in October and then get a job.
Then I learned how to play poker. Then I discovered bonuses and multitabling. I have no motivation to get a job at all and Im not depressed in the least.
Sometimes I take a bad beat in a huge NL pot and im not too happy so I just look in my neteller account. Happiness back.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is turning into fight club.

"We're the middle children of history, with no special purpose or place.
We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression.
The great depression is our lives. The great war is a spiritual war."

"We were raised by television to believe that someday we'll all be
millionaires and movie stars and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're
learning that fact."

-blake

[/ QUOTE ]

Haunted is a better book, IMO. The entire book is filled with quotes like this about the meaning of life.