Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: 100-200 hand

I'm trying to figure out why you shouldn't raise.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:50 PM

to raise 2 things have to happen. you have to have the best hand AND get paid off. the likelyhood of this isn't over the required 50% or so.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM

HPFAP says you have to have the best hand ~60% of the time because you might repopped.

If Snakehead was heads up with c/o then IMO it's an easy raise. Go through her possible hands, AA, KK, AQ, QQ, AcKc and it says raise. Of course if you think c/o would only raise with AA if she had the Ac and QQ, then I agree calling is better. based on how the hand went down I don't think the bb has a flush. So the only hand you have to worry about him is K-J.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HPFAP says you have to have the best hand ~60% of the time because you might repopped.

If Snakehead was heads up with c/o then IMO it's an easy raise. Go through her possible hands, AA, KK, AQ, QQ, AcKc and it says raise. Of course if you think c/o would only raise with AA if she had the Ac and QQ, then I agree calling is better. based on how the hand went down I don't think the bb has a flush. So the only hand you have to worry about him is K-J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is her range of hands so narrow? If its a flush, why can it only be A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? She open raised from the cutoff. Also you didnt mention anything about Snakhead collecting an extra bet from the BB when he has the best hand and gets the overcall.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:07 PM

I think this is very important. The overcall from the BB gives you the same value as a raise with less risk. Unless you think the BB might come along for two with a weaker hand.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:07 PM

"Why is her range of hands so narrow? If its a flush, why can it only be A K ? She open raised from the cutoff."

And didn't cap pre-flop, but did cap the flop. So I agree, she might have a range of flush holdings, perhaps even something like J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], considering she capped the flop and raised the turn.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:29 PM

easy call everytime.....
Old 08-28-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out why you shouldn't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whether he should raise the turn or not is close, since he can always 3 bet the turn and go for the free showdown if he misses his boat draw, so he would lose the same when ahead and win more when he improves. In this situation I would still call the turn however. On the river, raising would just be bad poker since calling makes the same amount of money without the risk of being 3 bet by a better hand.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 PM

Interesting hand. She didn't cap pre-flop so you figure a set of Q's rather than AA-KK. I'm guessing most 2nd place finishers in the WSOP main event in the BB, aside from Dewey Tomko, will call 2 more with a decent range of hands and all could play black JJ-TT the same way. He may have led that turn hoping it would play out just like it did but hoped you'd fold for 2 cold. I'm thinking the play was still to 3 bet the turn to get BB out. Call the river.

Isn't the difference of 1 or 2 extra BB's on the turn to get BB out and maybe clean up some outs is worth it if CO had black AA-KK or red Q's? Either way, with a set and 13.5 BB's in there, putting more pressure on the BB to get out on the turn seems the move to make. Nice post.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:45 PM

seems like raising the turn is the best idea, 2 pairs, tend to fold (your full house is live then). Personally i don't see how three nines could be good here more than very rarely, however 1/17 is too much to fold, but i'd be shocked if you won.