Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2003, 12:38 PM

Default A fun PLO hand

Party $100 buy-in PLO. I have just sat down and waited two hands till the big blind reached me. The same player won both of those hands without a showdown -- I'll call him LAG, for Loose AGgressive.

I pay my BB and wake up right away with AA44, one group suited in diamonds.

LAG, who is now in early position and has about $55, raises. MP ($65) calls and button calls. Since I am out of position, I decide just to call. Anybody raise here?

Flop is As 9d 3d. I can't think of a prettier flop for my hand. With the aggressive player acting immediately after me, I figure I might trap others in for extra bets with a check raise.

LAG bets the pot, MP raises all in (enough to cover LAG, too), and button folds. I never get to make the raise after my check, but I am quite happy to put my money in here. I call, LAG calls all in.

LAG had Kd Qd 9x 3x for bottom two and a losing flush draw.
MP had Ax Jx x x for top two.

So running jacks, 9's, or 3's were my only risk. (Maybe MP had a backdoor flush draw.) Anyway, my set held up and I collected a nice pot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 12:58 PM

Default Re: A fun PLO hand

Sweet. Top set, nut flush draw, and the only straight draw blocked.

You lucky man!

My first ever live hand of PLO was much the same: holding AA33 all red, I call a preflop raise for more money than I've ever put in a poker pot at any one time. The flop is A4d5d. I turned a straight flush with the 2d, and thought "I like this game". But I didn't get as much money in as you did...

Guy.

Old 10-09-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: A fun PLO hand

i'm estimating the pot at $31 after you call. if button's stack is as short as the other two, i consider a raise here.

if LAG is crazy enough to re-pop you after you raise here, i would do it regardless of the other stacks, especially since party is now allowing reraising of under-raises. you are probably a good favorite over him.

however, having the aggressor betting into the field before you make your decision is such an advantage that i would be loath to sacrifice it by raising here. i think i take a flop and let him lead into everyone.