Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Congratulations to the \'72 Dolphins

Congratulations to the 1972 Miami Dolphins. You can continue to be the only undefeated team in the superbowl era, and the rest of us can go back to ignoring you.

I know I probably sound like an angry Colts fan, but honestly that isn’t what this is all about. It’s about playa haters like Mercury Morris talking trash about a great team and trying to diminish their achievements. This poor attention starved excuse for a champion can now crawl back into obscurity, his claim to fame safe for at least another year.

It is sad indeed that Morris couldn’t appreciate the Colts and their quest, because with out teams like the Colts, we wouldn’t get the chance to appreciate just how special the accomplishments of the ’72 ‘Phins were. How would he feel if every team in the league had a loss by the end of September every year? What would his reaction be if no one ever came to his door to ask about how the latest undefeated-to-be compares to his long gone squad?

What’s that? I still sound like a sour Colts season ticket holder? Fair enough, but it could also be due to the fact that I know that it doesn’t have to be that way. You see, I'm from Indiana, where basketball is king. The last basketball team to cruise through an NCAA season and tournament undefeated was the 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers. Those Hoosiers have watched for going on 30 years as teams have tried to duplicate their perfect season, but have always maintained the dignity befitting such an achievement.

In the last 2 years, 3 teams have taken an unbeaten record deep in to the NCAA season. 2 years ago, Stanford got off to a 26-0 start before being upset by an upstart Washington Huskies squad. That same week saw a previously perfect St. Johns team lose their 28th game of the season to Xavier in the Atlantic 10 tourney. Last year, Illinois got all the way to 29-0 before dropping a game Ohio St. Throughout all of this, there was none of the venom displayed by Morris.

While it disappoints me to see that he s so better in his old age, no one can take Mercury Morris’ Superbowl rings away. Well no one but the guy who stole one of them when Morris left it in a hotel bathroom earlier this year. Well, that guy and the guy who bought the other one that Morris auctioned off when he was flat broke after spending all this money on lawyers to get him out of prison after he got caught selling cocaine to a DEA officer.

Now THAT is the angry Colts fan talking.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Congratulations to the \'72 Dolphins

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The legitimate angry Colts fans are in Baltimore. Real Colts and real Colts fans wouldn't be caught dead in a dome. Or in Indiana.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The legitimate angry Colts fans are in Baltimore. Real Colts and real Colts fans wouldn't be caught dead in a dome. Or in Indiana.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, why the hell do the Colts have a dome?

I can maybe undertand it in Minnesota, but in Indianapolis?? that's gaytastic
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, why the hell do the Colts have a dome?

I can maybe undertand it in Minnesota, but in Indianapolis?? that's gaytastic

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP already explained that:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm from Indiana, where basketball is king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoosiers think that a bunch of guys in a big room running back and forth in their skivvies and bouncing a beach ball is the height of sports. A bunch of girly men, afraid of a little cold weather. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 02:34 PM

"but honestly that isn’t what this is all about. It’s about playa haters like Mercury Morris talking trash about a great team and trying to diminish their achievements."

I didn't hear what MM said, but what has this Colts team achieved? They have won what, one playoff game or something with Manning/Harrison/Dungy? They have won nothing yet. Get back to us when they do. They have a nice regular season record so far and locked up their mighty division. That's it. A lot of teams nobody cares about have done that. You have to win something first. We will see if they can.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM

The reason the Colts have a dome is basketball. Having a dome allows Indy to host the Final 4 on a regular basis.
Also, it was 14 degrees this morning when I got up. Saying that it is ok for the Vikings to have a dome but not the Colts is just dumb.
I have mixed emotions about indoor football. One one hand, I really like watching games played in crappy weather, but I'm not sure that I'd have season tickets if it meant sitting out in the freezing cold for 3 hours on a regular basis.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it was 14 degrees this morning when I got up. Saying that it is ok for the Vikings to have a dome but not the Colts is just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

A dome is probably appropriate for both the Vikings and the former Baltimore Colts. All the Arena League teams play indoors.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM

The '72 dolphins probably aren't even in the top 3 of greatest teams ever.

I wasn't alive to see them play so I'm not a super-duper expert, but I get the feeling the 85 Bears would easily be favored over the 72 dolphins.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying that it is ok for the Vikings to have a dome but not the Colts is just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying that Indy is as cold/nasty as Minnesota?

I live in Boston, where the winter is roughly comparable to Indy (maybe worse?). It would be ridiculous for us to have a dome here..but I can see where sitting in -30 would make me want to have a dome. then again, the people in Green Bay don't seem to mind. Chicago is pretty close to Indy (right?) and I'm pretty sure the people there would hate a dome.

I guess it's all relative - I'm sure Minnesotans are used to the weather.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That same week saw a previously perfect St. Johns team lose their 28th game of the season to Xavier in the Atlantic 10 tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]
St. Joe's. But, same idea.

I think another reason all the Dolphins would hate to see another team go undefeated(besides the fact they wouldn't be the only ones to accomplish it) is that the next team to go undefeated would be considered better than the Dolphins, simply because winning 19 games is harder than winning 17 games...At least, that's the way I see it.