Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Self-Defense, an answer to guns v. knives debate

So there has been much debate on which is better to defend youself with in the event of a robbery. Gun supporters say they are more deadly close range than knives. Others say that knives can inflict more damage (close range).

It is also clear that shooting someone in the knee, crotch, arm etc.. would be damn near impossible when being threatened, unless you were highly trained with a gun.

So I offer this solution:

A throwing axe. Measures about 10" high, and it sharp on all edges. Not only can you throw it from across the room and surely hit your target, you can hack him with it if he comes near you.

Just put this beside your bed or in your drawer, and you will have the best of both worlds. This thing also seems a lot more intimidating than a standard knife....

Oh, it can be had for about $25 if you look around the net.

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Self-Defense, an answer to guns v. knives debate

Well, a hand-axe only does 1d6 damage, and most NPCs have at least 8 hit points. It is a slight improvement over a dagger, at 1d4. I'd go for a pole-axe, it does 1d12. Can't really hide it under your pillow, though.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, a hand-axe only does 1d6 damage, and most NPCs have at least 8 hit points. It is a slight improvement over a dagger, at 1d4. I'd go for a pole-axe, it does 1d12. Can't really hide it under your pillow, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this definitely looks like something Blade would use
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a cleric with you, you can just melee him down and raise hand to hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is also clear that shooting someone in the knee, crotch, arm etc.. would be damn near impossible when being threatened, unless you were highly trained with a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you shoot someone's knee, crotch, etc.? In a self defense situation, you're shooting to stop the threat. A majority of the time that can be accomplished with hits to the center of mass (IE torso).
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Best advice I ever heard for self-defense was a minimum-barrel length shotgun filled with birdshot. Won't penetrate walls, doesn't require much aiming, likely won't kill, but will knock down anyone, plus make a heck of a bang that'll scare most people off.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Your thinking is flawed for several reasons.

1. Why would you try to shoot someone in the kneecaps? In that situation, you want to shoot them in the torso/chest area.

2. If the robber has a gun, it's best not to threaten him with a knife or an axe. By the time you wind up to throw that thing, he'll have shot you 5 times.

3. If the robber has an edged weapon, your advantage won't come from being able to throw something at him, although it would help. Let's say you throw the axe and miss or just give him a nick on the arm? Now what? You'd need to carry around several throwing implements to make sure you stop him. Probably the best non-gun weapon in that situation is a sword. With a sword, you have a great advantage being able to attack him from 3-4 feet away, while his knife won't be able to reach you.

That being said, I think it's still not a bad idea to have something ready to throw at him. That axe looks a bit heavy and tough to throw at a reasonable speed. Cold Steel has some nice throwing weapons (and swords) that you might want to look at. I don't see them on the website anymore, but they had things called torpedos that were basically solid two-ended steel spikes.

Also, I have a video called "Making It Stick" by Michael Janich, published by Paladin Press. A great video if you want to learn how to throw knives, axes and spears well.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:55 PM

Ron,

His thinking was first flawed by the implication that knives might do more damage at close range that guns.

After that all I read was "Blah blah axes look cool and I watch a lot of movies".

J
Old 12-20-2005, 06:55 PM

Here's a vote for "Just give the guy your wallet and hope for the best"