Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Raise or check
Check 7 63.64%
Raise 200 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Have aliens visited earth?

Was curious what OOT thought (a group of mostly well educated people)
Old 12-13-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Have aliens visited earth?

id say its probable for other intelligent life to exist somewhere. getting here is highly unlikely.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM

I think its pretty foolish to think we are the only life forms in the entire universe

I am unsure if any said life form has visited earth tho. I know there are tons of limitations that many argue make it impossible, but I also know we dont know all there is to know, so I definately think it could be possible. Im undecided tho, It wouldnt suprise me if it had happened, but I think pretty much all "crop circles" and "ufo sightings" and "governement coverups" are bogus. I think if aliens did come to earth, theyd have the technology to make it so that we never saw them.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:44 PM

IMO, it would have been better if the first question specified "intelligent" life. It seems really, really unlikely that no form of life whatsoever has ever developed on another planet.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Considering the alien's obsession with SIIHP, I think its possible to assert that they are browsing OOT as we speak.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it would have been better if the first question specified "intelligent" life. It seems really, really unlikely that no form of life whatsoever has ever developed on another planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, there is intelligent life on earth? Whoa.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM

some people (intelligent ones!) think all life on Earth was created by simple cell's organisms that arrived on Earth via meteors or other galactic explosions.

does that count?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its pretty foolish to think we are the only life forms in the entire universe

I am unsure if any said life form has visited earth tho. I know there are tons of limitations that many argue make it impossible, but I also know we dont know all there is to know, so I definately think it could be possible. Im undecided tho, It wouldnt suprise me if it had happened, but I think pretty much all "crop circles" and "ufo sightings" and "governement coverups" are bogus. I think if aliens did come to earth, theyd have the technology to make it so that we never saw them.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is certainly possible to travel insane distances in space. However to do said traveling would require much much more advanced technology and many resources.

If aliens did visit earth, why wouldnt they want to greet us? also if they were here, i wouldnt think the gov't would have the power to stop them or hide them.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 PM

It doesn't seem almost equally unlikely that no form of intelligent life has ever formed on another planet?

Let's define "intelligence" as chimp-smart, just for laughs.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id say its probable for other intelligent life to exist somewhere. getting here is highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the conditions for life to exist are extremely rare. Life as we know it is extremely fragile and it appears, based on probabilistic arguments, that the conditions for life to exist are not that common in the universe. Microbes quite likely exist in abundance but complex life not. This argument was first set forth in the book Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe by Peter Ward, Donald Brownlee.