Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2003, 02:54 PM

Default How ugly do you go?

Playing Party Poker $25 buy-in PL game last night, I had mostly folded my first two circuits when I picked up 36s in the big blind. Normally I would dump this cheese without a second thought, but it came back to me after 5 limpers and then a single raise of only $0.25 (i.e. just a limit-player's raise -- common for that particular player). Because the table was very passive, I did not think that anyone who had limped already was planning a big raise.

Does anybody else call this? Because I had just bought in, I still had over $23. The silly limit-style raiser, who was terrible (but lucky lately) had me covered, as did 3 of the 5 limpers. Anyway, I figured that I could outplay most or all of the players at the table, so I felt I had huge implied odds.

Anyway, I hate to judge by results, but the flop came up 366, I trapped the preflop raiser for a profit of $13 or so.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Re: How ugly do you go?

If I'm on the BB and some on makes the minimum raise, I'll call with hands like your 3/6s or even 2/3s. On Party's $25 NL tables you have implied odds for practically any hand on a small raise like that.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:54 AM

Min raise with lots of limpers in LP? Sure I'd play this straight flush combo, mostly ready to muck on the flop though.

Jon
Old 07-01-2003, 10:39 AM

I would call in that situation as long as it was ring and not tourney. Implied odds are king in NL.

al