Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 01:51 AM

Default MPTK. Who am I? Why am I here?

No real reads yet. Generally I follow the "assume they're loose until they prove otherwise" reasoning.

Lay into me...

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: MPTK. Who am I? Why am I here?

I am new here, but here it goes.

On the flop: Given the pot size and the UTG's bet I would raise to find out where I was at. Two things could happen. One is that the UTG could re-raise and protect some of my outs by getting MP1 to fold (or unprofitably call) a gut shot, weaker jack , or another ace like AQ or Axs that has a backdoor draw. The even better result would be if MP1 has a weaker king that he decides to fold.(unlikely). I would not be counting on MP1 having Q,10 and a call from a reraise would let me know that. If the pot were smaller I might dump it. But calling is the worst to me because you have no idea where you are and end up putting yourself into the position you had on the turn of having no new info about the hand. If UTG does have a king even with a poor kicker he would come out and bet, and you could be confident he has a King. If he checks on the turn, you can see if you can pick up the pot and/or put yourself in position for a free showdown,or take a free card.and if By checking the turn you could be in a position to pick up an ace or even make a call which you did in the end. This way you would have gone till the end with the same investment or less with the added chance of picking the pot up and gaining a BB on the river with a third jack.

The turn is tricky because it would be hard to raise and represent a 2, and you had no information about where you stood. UTG could have been making a continuation.

the river was the sketchy part, I know the pot is big but really what could you beat. The King did not scare him. What do you think he thought you could have, beside a Jack or an unlikly QQ or AA Q,10s. All that he could beat.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:05 AM

Without a read I call the flop - a bet out of position into a preflop raiser regularly means at least top pair - if you knew he was a maniac or something you could raise, without that information you have the odds to call for your five outs to trips or two pair.

Turn is close but with the likelihood that you can raise and he'll call on the river if you hit the Ace or Jack you can still call.

Are you good one in ten times on the river? Probably not. I might call just to see what he had and take notes but you're almost certainly beat here.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:47 AM

Flop: I think i raise here for a free turn/River card.
Turn: If he bets again(After raising flop)i think you can fold.

River: Fold, what are you ahead of? Low jack. I know the pots 10BB or so but i reckon your behind everything but a lowjack.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:47 AM

FLOP: Raise the flop, knock out SB, and take a free card on the turn or bet the turn and take a free showdown. If three-bet, peel one off and fold the turn UI.

then... TURN/RIV (after flop raise): If you just get called on the flop and turn and bet into on the river, your're likely in trouble but should call as it might be a bluff. If the river gets checked to you, check it through or bet and fold to a checkraise.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 AM

Unless villain is unusually aggressive, I normally raise this flop to try for a free card. Even though villain probably has TP, the risk of a 3-bet is lower than normal because villain has to respect the possibility that I could have AK.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 AM

Free-card this for sure. You have position so you might as well use it. You lost more than you needed to here. I'm not sure about the river call.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might call just to see what he had and take notes but you're almost certainly beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

ick
Old 09-23-2005, 09:20 AM

Either raise or fold the flop. Calling is horrible.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:24 AM

I don't like the river undercall.