Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 PM

Default HU phony river bet?

This is from a PP 10+1, heads up vs a regular 10+1-donk

Seat 3 is the button

Seat 2: Villain $4010
Seat 3: HERO $3990

Level:6
Blinds(100/200)

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to HERO [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

HERO raises [300].
Villain calls [200].

** Dealing Flop ** [ T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]

Villain checks.
HERO bets [350].
Villain calls [350].

** Dealing Turn ** [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]

Villain checks.
HERO bets [500].
Villain calls [500].

** Dealing River ** [ 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]

Villain is all-In [2760]
HERO ?

---------------------------

There was no need to push pf with the blinds so small, so I minraised, he waited a few seconds and called.
On the flop I made a standard cont. bet and he called w/o hesitation, I figured standard continuation call if there is any such thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
On the turn I hit a 4 which I wasn't too excited about, but I bet out again, still pretty cheap though, he called again, by this time I put him on a flushdraw or possible str8 draw.
On the river he pushed after a couple of seconds!

I think this looks very much like a busted draw trying to buy me out, does anyone call in a similiar situation?

Appreciate comments on whole hand!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: HU phony river bet?

Min-raising sucks.

I'd fold unless I had an actual reason to think he might bluff here.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 PM

The reason I feel it looks like a bluff is he has called off +35%of his stack by check-calling flop and turn, and after 2 blanks he suddenly pushes, I've played a couple hundred of these 10+1 last week and I've seen similiar moves pretty often, of course he wouldn't need much of a hand to beat my fours, but something don't smell right...
Old 08-06-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Min-raising sucks.

I'd fold unless I had an actual reason to think he might bluff here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, time to fold. Yeah he might be buying it, but then again he might have JT and planned on stringing you along until the river where his all-in might seem desperate to you. It might not be what you or I would do with JT here, but I see that sort of slowplaying at the 11s-33s a lot.

Granted, it's bad for business to imagine monsters everywhere, especially HU, but his calls--especially on the turn--tell me he likes his hand. Not sure if I'm being weak-tight here, but after he called my flop bet I'm probably shutting it down and check-folding future streets. Like you said, the blinds are low and there's plenty of time to find better spots. Also note that if he is on a draw, your betting 500 on the turn is almost giving him the right odds to call his 8- or 9-outer.