Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Hold onto the small straight?

Agony and ecstasy, not necessarily in that order, in a hand from last night.

MP1 and Button are loose preflop (MP1 played 76o from late position a few moments ago) and limp with every connector they can get their hands on, suited or not. I havent caught them playing crap like Kxo, and postflop they have been behaving when I've played against them. CO is new to me.

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

I was delighted with the flop, of course - but perhaps unwisely, thought I'd checkraise the turn rather than get in the extra small bet now.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls....

Q isn't as scary as 8 or J would be. Maybe I should have checkraised anyway to make sure the gutshots got out, but a double bet isn't folding an OESD or double gutshot. But then...

...., <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero....

Oh boy. Somebody loves this hand. Is it time to quit, or pay 2 (maybe 3) more bets to see the river and then a couple more to show this down?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Hold onto the small straight?

I 3 bet the flop, you're behind J8 only, you very likely have the best hand so get the bets in while you're ahead.

Bet out the turn, this isn't a good board to be check-raising on. You're behind KJ now as well, which is a bit more likely than J8, but this could easily be two pair or a set as well. The check/call on the turn is definitely too passive.

Button is likely on a draw, there are a lot of cards that can come to beat you on the river and you have the idiot end of the straight, once it's two more back to me on the turn with your line, I'd fold.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Hold onto the small straight?

This is a good example of why playing passively can put you in the poo. You've got a good hand on the flop, but it's not the nuts and it is susceptible to being cracked or counterfeited, (if an 8 falls then your hand is basically worthless.) You lost control of this hand by slowplaying, and now you don't know if your hand is good. I think that if you had reraised the flop and led the turn then you wouldn't be in the trouble that you are now.