Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Medium pair, cutoff position

[ QUOTE ]

an MP2 open raise should be a fairly wide range if the opponent is position aware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but why take a chance with a hand that A) could already be dominated, or B) will be after the flop. I can see doing this if there were more coming along for the ride, but this just doesn't make sense to me at all.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:53 PM

The rest of the story:

I bet the turn, got checkraised.

I put in the one more bet to see the river, which I was sure right away was a mistake. The river was the [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J, which counterfeited whatever hand I may have had in the first place, and made folding to villain's river bet easy, anyway.

He showed me a slowplayed [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J. Maaaan, was I behind.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:05 PM

I think this is ok, especially against an opponent that might not be raising with the best of hands, and if you think that you can actually chase out the Button and blinds. Of course, what are you going to do if re-raised?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Whoa...double-triple.

Like I said, I would've pretty easily folded to the C/R on the turn. Players pull this kind of crap all the time at .5/1...it's fun to catch them at it when their hand isn't quite as strong and my hand isn't quite so weak as in this case.

EDIT: Definitely make a note of this play.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this worth a bet or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure that I would have 3 bet this preflop, but since you did, this is a great flop for you after he checks. Bet for sure. I'm bnetting until I get raised and then folding.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

an MP2 open raise should be a fairly wide range if the opponent is position aware.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but why take a chance with a hand that A) could already be dominated, or B) will be after the flop. I can see doing this if there were more coming along for the ride, but this just doesn't make sense to me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against any hand that isn't a pair above 88 you are a favorite. Especially when they will fold to a flop or turn bet. You cannot assume he has a pair above 8s when is he opening from MP2 and is an aggressive player.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rest of the story:

I put in the one more bet to see the river, which I was sure right away was a mistake. The river was the [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J, which counterfeited whatever hand I may have had in the first place, and made folding to villain's river bet easy, anyway.

He showed me a slowplayed [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J. Maaaan, was I behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to be 3-betting hands like 88 (which I think is fine in this situation), you need to be able to let go of these hands to a checkraise. Your hand is never good here against a flop check-call turn check-raise.

Rob
Old 03-16-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rest of the story:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you calling the turn C/R. I can't think of 1 hand you're ahead of here. You definitely don't have the odds to draw for a set either.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to be 3-betting hands like 88 (which I think is fine in this situation), you need to be able to let go of these hands to a checkraise. Your hand is never good here against a flop check-call turn check-raise.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post.