Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Medium pair, cutoff position

MP2 is agressive but sometimes a bit unsound. My first half hour against him.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Reraise to isolate feels standard here. Is it? At least it actually worked, and no clowns coldcalled it with two random high cards....

Flop: (7.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Is this worth a bet or not? I am either way ahead (he has KQ/KJ or he's being crazy) or way behind (he has an ace, or a bigger pair) and more likely to be behind, even opposite a live one.

I was hoping he'd fold, and going to fold if he checkraised me. But as it turned out, I learned just about nothing from the flop action.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero ....

Well, I'm still either way ahead or way behind - but now I'm way behind if he has a jack too. What now?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Medium pair, cutoff position

Bet, fold to a checkraise.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:27 PM

To begin with this is a marginal call from the CO. Since you decided to play it against a small field a 3-bet is even worse pre-flop. If you miss your set your going to spew chips a lot of times or be in some awkward situations - like this one for instance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like the flop bet. You are probably ahead at this point and your opponents are incorrectly betting over cards or MP2 has a medium pair like 99-JJ.

The turn in my opinion is a check/fold. You have a very small chance of still being ahead and with a small pot, it's just not worth playing it. - I stand corrected. I would bet/fold here after re-reading the hand.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying this because he should maintain his line of leading instead of showing any weakness? This hand is so marginal I just wouldn't bet into it. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying this because he should maintain his line of leading instead of showing any weakness? This hand is so marginal I just wouldn't bet into it. Perhaps I'm missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're missing that Hero is second to act?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're missing that Hero is second to act?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you say that because I re-read the hand before I saw your post and just noticed that, which in turn changed my line.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Bet the turn. You are representing a strong hand like a high pocket pair or an AK. To check here would allow villian to lead the river and win without a made hand. He may have a pocket pair and is willing to call you all the way down. He may also have a higher pocket pair and lay it down to your bluff. I think slowing down leaves you no way to win where as betting gives you the best chance.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 PM

I have a general question about this hand though. Is it a good idea to try and isolate with a medium pair with a raise ahead of you? My view on this is that it's not.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:39 PM

Assuming that you're confident in your read ("aggressive" and "unsound") I'm thinking the PF raise was a steal attempt with Kxs/KQ/KT/QT mabye Jx, maybe a smaller pocket pair. He didn't cap you PF, he didn't raise you on the flop, which doesn't seem like the action of an aggro player with the goods...I'm going out on a limb, here, and betting the turn, folding to a raise. If he calls down, I'll fire at him again on the river if it's not a 9TQK, otherwise I'll check or call.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a general question about this hand though. Is it a good idea to try and isolate with a medium pair with a raise ahead of you? My view on this is that it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

an MP2 open raise should be a fairly wide range if the opponent is position aware.