Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 03-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Default MIddle pair out of the blind

One of the more interesting hands I had last night. My first session against this button, no useful info to share. Average table overall, flop% is running around 35.

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

My plan on the flop was to bet and hope it gave me a clue whether I was up against an ace or not. Four people seeing the turn was NOT what I wanted to hear, and I was planning to check-fold a blank turn.

All comments welcome, but two particular questions in my mind ... was I right to call the turn at all, with some fuzzy number between 6 and 9 outs? How about planning to check-call the river when the flush card came? I figured if I bet out, I'd get raised by a flush and folded by most other stuff - but I might get a call from a blank ace that'd be worth an extra bet.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: MIddle pair out of the blind

Without reads I would probably check the flop, if checked through then bet the turn and then bet the river (the way you played it, i would bet the river)
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All comments welcome, but two particular questions in my mind ... was I right to call the turn at all, with some fuzzy number between 6 and 9 outs? How about planning to check-call the river when the flush card came? I figured if I bet out, I'd get raised by a flush and folded by most other stuff - but I might get a call from a blank ace that'd be worth an extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had 6 outs, then you would need almost 7:1 to make the call, and if you had 9 outs you would need about 4:1. You're getting only 5:1, which means you're most likely short. I think a check-fold would have been better.

On the river, I don't understand why you think so many hands would fold. Given that button bet the turn, I would immediately cast doubt on his ability to fold on the river, unless he was on a pure bluff. A 9 would call, an ace, and probably any mid pocket pair. I also think that the fearing a flush is out of line because it was a runner-runner draw for the button. Betting out on the river seems pretty safe.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 PM

I think you need to check/fold the flop. After you bet, and you have 3 calls, I'd be pretty sure there's a weak ace out there.

Unimproved, I check/fold the turn.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:46 PM

This is a really nice analysis here. I would likely bet the river for the same reasons stated.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 PM

I would check/fold this flop unless it comes back getting 7:1. All five of your outs should be clean, and you have a two-gapper backdoor straight draw for an additional ~0.5 out, so you need 7.3:1. If you count implied odds it might be safe to see the turn getting 6:1. But you don't want to be heads up against an A getting only 5:1 on your bet.

Bet out if it's checked through on the flop.

EDIT: A better could easily have KT-9T instead of the A, dominating you and taking away your 2 T outs. Folding is probably best.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Eye-opening to me that everyone wants to check-fold the flop. I've had the feeling that I've been too conservative in the past about seeing where I'm at with middle pairs and pockets just below the top. But I guess that's more for when I have A9 and the flop is Q9x or something.

Good point that I could be being dominated by a bigger ten and losing two of my outs.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:32 PM

Hmm
I would not bet this flop but I would call one bet since you have 5 outs to two pair or trips. On turn I would fold since you are probably behind and dont have the implied odds to call.
I would check raise the river or bet out depending on how aggressive this guy is. If I don't know I would just bet out since the scare cards might make him check behind.

On every street the total opposite of what you did, strange. =)