Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: What do atheist teach their children

[ QUOTE ]
Do you let your children wander onto railroad tracks so they will learn not to get hit by trains?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack, but this was just terrible.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you let your children wander onto railroad tracks so they will learn not to get hit by trains?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, Peter. I make sure that they know to stay well away from "tracks" (or beliefs - added just in case it was missed or misconstrued). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 AM

The same things theists teach their children, just without the supreme being part.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do all the atheists her teach their children. do you guy let them live there life and choose or do you guys guide them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell them I do not believe in God, ghosts, spirits, miracles, heaven, hell, supernatural occurrences, etc.
I tell them that some other people do. I give them good scientific explanations to dispute everything they hear from people that do believe in those things. I let them decide after that. My 11 year old is an atheist (I was one by 7) and my 8 year old is undecided.

If the question is about morals you would be hard pressed to find someone more moral or honest than me. I teach those same values to my children.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do all the atheists her teach their children. do you guy let them live there life and choose or do you guys guide them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would teach them how to think critically, skepticism, logic, the scientific method, reciprocity, and introduce them to a variety of things (from sports, to art, to music, etc.) to get their mind wondering so they can better learn what makes them happy, as well as have a better understanding of what makes others happy.

I very well may raise them in a Unitarian Universalist church for a while, since we share a lot of the same values.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:35 AM

When it comes to religion, which is I guess what you're getting at, I'll let them make up their own minds. If they find comfort in religion, something I was never able to do, who am I to tell them otherwise? I'll make sure to debate them just to keep em straight, but I'd be cool with it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Just curious where you got that percentage? It seems high to me.

I see what you're saying... But it is what it is. There are a lot of dogmatic beliefs and practices in the world. I try to teach my kids to think for themselves.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Depends what you mean by "Catholic values." If you mean basic morality, people have that without religion or belief in a god, and in other religions. That is because our values are there for other reasons, real reasons, and precede religion and are not dependent on religion. When religions were invented those basic values were put in because they were there already. OTOH, superstions and guilt about things like sex can come from the religion. But a basic "don't murder, steal, hurt people" code is there anyway and can be taught, and IMO taught better without the religious overlay.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I intend to teach my children that it is acceptable to steal the eyeballs of Christian babies and use them to make medicine, which we shall only share with right-thinking atheists the world over. I've yet to work out which organs we'll take from babies of other religions, but the human body is a vast and wonderful warehouse, so I'm sure we'll think of something.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:22 PM

Catholicism is really good for [censored] up people's sex lives