Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Party Poker Shortstack Abuse

A couple of weeks ago I made a post complaining about short stack abuse on Party Poker. I said I would come up with a rough draft letter, and then you guys could help me edit it, then we could send it in large numbers...

My lazy azz never made the letter, but I just did a quick one to start the process.
I did it quickly and I'm not the greatest writer, so I would be very appreciate if you guys could help me finetune my letter.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Shortstack Abuse

Here it is...

Dear Party,
While I am generally impressed with the gaming service you offer there is one thing that annoys me and a lot of other players.
Currently you allow your minimum buy-in to be 1/5 of the max buy in. So when I play 2000 NL, players are allowed to buy in for $400. And if they win or lose a pot they are allowed to leave the table and re-enter the table at the $400 mark even if they had more money on the table just 20 seconds ago.

This is different from many of the other top poker networks and causes a huge problem in the games. These players who buy in for the min (shortstacks) usually have two moves.

1. Go all-in preflop, usually over the top of a pre-flop raise
2. Fold

This is wrong and hurts the game on a number of different levels.

1. By going all in pre-flop they destroy the pace and flow of the game. The other players have to play less hands to adjust b/c they have to be in fear of being raised over the top preflop. This is bad for you b/c it also results in less rake for you guys because the game becomes less loose and aggressive.

2. Whenever I see two of these type of players I immediately leave the table or don’t play there at all b/c for one going all in with out see a flop isn’t real poker and that’s a waste of my time and its not as fun to be forced to player a tighter more conservative style.

3. So when the shortstack goes all in preflop and wins a race to get his stack up to $800, he is then allowed to leave the table and come back with $400. This is absolutely ludicrous, I’ve never heard of taking money off the table in a NL, PL game.

How to Solve the Problem:

1) The most common way this problem has been solved by the other major poker networks is not to allow the shortstack to leave the table and come back with a different stack amount for a designated period of time. So if the abusing player doubles up to $800, he cannot come back to that same table with less money. With a bigger stack it is much less mathetmatically equitable to have a strategy of going all in or folding pre-flop.

This is good because now for atleast one hour, I am spared of this player ruining the pace of this specific tables’ game. I will actually get to see flops and play real poker.

2) Another way to solve the problem would be to increase the minimum buy in. Changing the buy in from 1/5 to 2/5 would go a very very long way in solving the problem.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:23 PM

you rock dude. I am pretty much just copying this and sending it off.

death to cduhong!!
Old 12-10-2005, 03:25 PM

we really need everyone who plays on party to send this letter, this could help our btm line alot, as i have had crazy LAGs sit out, refusing to play bc of these short stacks.

so damn frustrating.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Cdu is by far the worst abuser. Fancy being the 2nd.

These guys have no talent and are just abusing Party Poker's incompetence.

But I think a much better, more organnized and eloquent letter can be written that will more effectively convey our frustration.

So hopefully one of you smarter guys can help us out.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:42 PM

as my posts demonstrate, i am much more proficient as a poker player than a writer. maybe one of these law school guys can help out.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:11 PM

el diablo = cduhong?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Grammatical Edits a la Mark:

[ QUOTE ]

Dear Party,
While I am generally impressed with the gaming services you offer, there is one persistent annoying for me and many other players: Currently you allow your minimum buy-in to be 1/5 of the maximum buy-in. So when I play 2000 NL, players are allowed to buy in for $400. If they win or lose a pot, they are allowed to leave the table and re-enter the table, returning to $400, despite having significantly[/b] more money on the table only 20 seconds earlier.

This mass of short-stacked players has proven more than an annoyance, but debilitating to legitimate players. The players who buy in for the minimum usually have two moves:

1. Go all-in preflop, usually over the top of a pre-flop raise
2. Fold

This is hurts the game on a number of different levels:

1. By going all in pre-flop, they destroy the pace and flow of the game. The other players have to play less hands to adjust because they have to be in fear of being raised over the top preflop. This is bad for you because it results in less rakethe game becomes less loose and aggressive.

2. Whenever I see two of these type of players, I immediately leave the table, because going all in before the flop repeatedly isn’t real poker. It's a waste of my time, and it's not as fun to be forced to player a tighter, more conservative style.

3. When the short-stack goes all in preflop and wins a race to get his stack up to $800, he is then allowed to leave the table and come back with $400. This is absolutely ludicrous, I’ve never heard of taking money off the table in a NL, PL game.
<u>This isn't really a reason it hurts the game. It's just stating that something you already said hurts the game.. hurts the game.</u>

How to Solve the Problem:

1) The most common way this problem has been solved by the other major poker networks is to not allow short-stacks to leave the table and come back with a different stack amount for a designated period of time. So if players double up to $800, they cannot come back to that same table with less money. With a bigger stack, it is much less mathematically equitable to have a strategy of simply going all in or folding pre-flop.

This is good because now for at least one hour, I am spared of this player ruining the pace of this specific tables’ game. I will actually get to see flops and play real poker.

2) Another way to solve the problem would be to increase the minimum buy-in. Changing the buy-in from 1/5 to 2/5 would go a very very long way in solving the problem.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
x

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably didn't get everything, but it's a start.
-mark
Old 12-10-2005, 04:27 PM

maybe you can add a couple of these guys screennames in the letter. Party would want to 'investigate'. Fancyfree rocks!
Old 12-10-2005, 04:29 PM

thanks mark.

and thats a good idea hittheset.