Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Your favorite Rivalry to watch (past and current)?

This is a rivalry?

[ QUOTE ]
Past
Cubs-Cardinals

Present
Cubs-Cardinals

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

there's not a game with more hate/emotion in it anywhere. this is as close as you will see to someone getting their head ripped off as there is, unless you watch a video of someone actually getting their head taken off. the fans hate each other. the stadiums packing 105-110k people.

The problem I have with the Yanks/Sox rivalry right now is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between these teams. There's no fighting, no bad words, no bulletin material. I'll still watch, but is it the best rivalry right now? no.

[/ QUOTE ]

College rivalries will always be much stronger than professional rivalries.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

there's not a game with more hate/emotion in it anywhere. this is as close as you will see to someone getting their head ripped off as there is, unless you watch a video of someone actually getting their head taken off. the fans hate each other. the stadiums packing 105-110k people.

The problem I have with the Yanks/Sox rivalry right now is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between these teams. There's no fighting, no bad words, no bulletin material. I'll still watch, but is it the best rivalry right now? no.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

i'm surprised your fav rivalry isn't PSU/MSU [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 03:39 PM

P.Dirty, you guys need to get a better basketball team, and we need to stop paying our players, so our rivalry extends beyond the gridiron. Too bad Sparty is, and has been, kicking our ass on the hardwood for the last decade... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

i'm surprised your fav rivalry isn't PSU/MSU [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things. People are usually more attached to their college than they are to their cities sports teams. Most people voluntarily choose their college, whereas, they are usually born into a city and therefore, a pro sports team. Also, there is more of a team aspect in college than in the pros, where it's usually about the individual.

The PSU/MSU "rivalry" isn't really much of a "rivalry." Most PSU fans would much rather beat OSU or UM instead of MSU. We HATE Ohio State. Go figure.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things. People are usually more attached to their college than they are to their cities sports teams. Most people voluntarily choose their college, whereas, they are usually born into a city and therefore, a pro sports team. Also, there is more of a team aspect in college than in the pros, where it's usually about the individual.

The PSU/MSU "rivalry" isn't really much of a "rivalry." Most PSU fans would much rather beat OSU or UM instead of MSU. We HATE Ohio State. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to school in Boston, but due to the lack of sports teams at school, I'm strongly attached to UM. I lived there since I was 1, and my brother and lots of friends went there. Now I live in NY, but I'm ready to go all out for the Maize and Blue this weekend.

Just to maybe prove your point a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's not a real rivalry, it was the one bestowed on you guys 10 years ago when you came into the Big 10. Hence the [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] making fun of your fake rivalry. As for hating the Wolverines and Bucks, get your own team to hate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 03:59 PM

I know I know. I'm sorry for treading. It's not so much UM as it is OSU though. My freshman year at PSU, the kid who lived next door to me gave me one rule. Hate OSU. I just went with it.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM

By far best UM-PSU game I've ever watched is 1996. PSU ranked #1, UM ranked #4, crisp October game IN Happy Valley (I believe). Lavar Arrington, Curtis Enis, and Courtney Brown on one side, Charles Woodson, Brian Griese, and the A-Train on the other.

Most pride I've felt for Michigan ever. Lloyd Carr's one great year. Too bad it was ruined by the Coaches and AP who wanted to give Tom Osbourne a nice parting gift.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lakers Celtics in the 80's

Yanks Sox now.

[/ QUOTE ]