Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: A question for libertarians.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every single law in this country that is preventative in nature is designed to do one thing: MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES. You are kidding yourself if you believe that they exist to prevent a certain action

[/ QUOTE ]

Mandatory seatbelt laws save lives, raising the minimum drinking age saves lives, banning happy hours in bars saves lives, etc. Reality trumps libertarian theory much of the time, therefore it is positive when the government steps in to protect society.

[ QUOTE ]
As a libertarian, my response to your first three questions is this: what business of it is anyone what drugs I choose to injest, or what guns I have in my closet, until I affect someone else adversely with either? What difference does it make to you until I kill you with my bullets, or drive my car into the side of your house. When that happens, then there is a violation. Then, there is a fracture of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be evading reality again. Watch a documentary of someone addicted to crystal meth or ice. Addicts suffer severe physical and mental damage as a result of narcotics abuse. They are unable to hold down a job or watch over their kids. They may turn to crime or prostitution in order to support their habits (drugs wouldn't be free even when they are illegal).

Suppose on an average day in a park in your hometown that your kids play at that 90% of the people there are either drunk or smoking crack. Would you send your kids there since there is no crime being committed at the time?

Would you explain to your kids that there really is no morality at all so feel free to partake in whatever narcotics they choose so they can experience freedom in all its' wonders?

The idea of waiting until a crime is committed and then worrying about it is foolish. One doesn't pass out alcohol to a bunch of 16 year olds at a party and wait to see if they drink and drive, one makes an attempt to stop a problem before it occurs.

There's plenty of evidence already out there that narcotics cause severe harm to humans so it's logical to make an effort to stop humans from using them. Someone smoking ice six times a day is not enjoying freedom, they are a prisoner of addiction.

I would love for all the libertarians to start their own country and invite all violent gun owners, drug addicts, gambling addicts, etc., to their country. They would very quickly learn why we have preventative laws in this country. Of course the libertarian economy should run quite well with a large criminal element in it. Former drug dealers would instantly forgo a life of crime in favor of entrepreneurship.

[/ QUOTE ]