Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 09-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: What is your play here?

[ QUOTE ]
If you think he's bluffing, raise; otherwise fold. Your cards don't matter much here.

A 1/2 pot bet smells like a non-nut straight, a flush draw, or the nut straight with no redraws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your cards matter a hell of a lot. The fact that you hold 2 of the 4 kings in the deck on a QT9 board help your decision a ton facing the bet. What is important to remember here is if you hold the nuts, and you are out of position you have to bet the pot when everyone has such deep stacks. This says to me that person did not have the nuts. If you know someone does not have the nuts and you have position on them this is where you can raise. What is important here is that the opponent thinks they have not shown weakness, so a raise from you is a sign of absolute strength. One that makes it easy to fold an idiot end straight. Players know not to call such a raise with a bad straight as they know another big bet is coming on the river. If they do call, it is because they have a draw.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:52 PM

I'd fold. I've been burned by enough idiots calling this raise down (as well as a river bet on a blank) with the lower straight at this level. Also, having two blockers doesn't mean he can't have the nuts, and some players actually would put in a weird bet with it here.

Throw in the fact that smellgood is left to act behind you (and I'm sure your notes also describe him as an unpredictable idiot, equally capable of holding QQJK here as 2222), and I don't think it's worth a 1:1 risk to win the pot, which is about what you'd be looking at with a raise big enough to induce a fold.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Old 09-15-2005, 06:27 PM

All options are valid. I'd prefer raise, fold, call in that order, but it depends on opponents/table, etc.

-greg