Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Move up or stay?

I've been playing sng's on party every now and then the last year, and about 4 months ago I started reading here, and playing my way from 10+1 through 20s, 30s and 50+5s.

Everything was ok although I had altogether not played more than maybe 250 sng's, then I dropped about 15 BI's at the 50's so I got sick of it and cashed out and wasted what was left on NL 100.

Anyway at the beginning of this month I started playing alot again at the 10+1, I have played 500 10+1s in three weeks now, with very nice results, 44% ITM and 32% ROI so I figure even though it's a small sample it shows I am a winning player there, the problem is I feel like I should be able to move up, but every stab I have made this month at the higher stakes has ended up with me getting my @ss handed to me because they don't do the donkish things I expect them to do!

Could someone give me any advice?
Is it worth moving up or should I just start 8-tabling the 10+1s instead?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Move up or stay?

What do you mean when you say you took a stab? Those stats for the 11s are pretty damn good and justify moving up. You have built up more than a big enough bankroll to play the 22s so you should be able to manage the swings. But if you're comfortable at the 11s don't worry about it. You're clearly winning well.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Im in the same boat myself, I find that mixing in 22s with my 11s is working okay (currently on a 4ITM streak at the 22s, w0000t!!!). Just play the 11s, when you profit $22+, play a $20+2. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 10:47 PM

I guess I forgot the real question I've been thinking about.. Is it possible to crush the 10+1s and still not be a winning player at $22-$55s?
And if it is, which I beleive how much do I have to adjust? or is it not worth it if I can keep this level of ROI and start 8-tabling?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 PM

What I meant by "taking a stab" is I've played a couple of sets at 22s, 33s, and 55s when I've been on a good run but have busted pretty early (between 4th-8th) in all of them with "standard" calls/pushes which work fine at the 11s.

Also the money is important for me since I'm going to Australia soon so I don't wont to lose alot of time playing higher buyins with neg. ROI when I know I would be making easy money (altough slowly) at the 11s.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 PM

If you can beat the $10s you can beat the $20s. At least this has been my personal experience. I can't thank myself enough for moving up and recieveing my pay raise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 PM

If you like money you should move up.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like money you should move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I gotta take a shot again at higher stakes, I just don't wanna risk my travel money..
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 PM

I do see a problem though. If you do need the money you really shouldn't be playing dude. I mean that sincerely, I have a set amount of buy ins 30+ for my bankroll and it doesnt get touched. If you need the money you should maybe be using it else where. That being said if your killing the 10's and aren't doing that well elsewhere i would start multitabling sporadically (sp wrong sorry irie) I wouldnt be taking stabs at tourneys that are out of the comfort zone though no 30's or 50's for the time being.

Australia is beautiful by the way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 03:36 AM

Im in the same spot as you,

your stats are great, much better than mine, and I wouldnt be afraid to move up becuase if you lose you can just go back to killin the 10+1s.

The question on ur post that hasnt been answered yet ( and I also want to know) is HOW profitable is it to move up? Does the more expensive buyin vs less donks get me more money in the end??? Right now I belive 8 tabling will give me a more profitable and consistent result, but im just guessing.

Help =) Brian