Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: This is when you apply the squeeze play.

[ QUOTE ]
Well in Doyle Brunson's book he talks about this situation, about trying to catch something if a player is playing kings and aces and doesn't raise and you have a suited connector. He recommends just calling which is actually the play I would make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling with 76s with position to a loose raise and a call is a nice play to have in your arsenal, but only when the stacks are very deep. The thing about this play is that your first call is bad (meaning you are calling a 3xBB raise in a pot where you dont have 3xBB equity).

The reason you can make this play, is that on the flop, you are last to act, and they arent likely to put you on 76s. So, when you hit your hand (or a great draw), you are likely to win a big pot. When you miss the flop, you fold, and only lose 3xBB. So for this play to be profitable, you need the players in the hand, as well as yourself to have a lot of chips (implied odds).

An example of when I would do this is if the stack sizes were 3200, 3000, and I have 2200, and the raise is to 90 chips.

[ QUOTE ]

Possibly catch something then push, how if he is dead set on raising then 1500 is a nice number b/c its bigger than the pot but still not too much to where if he gets raised he can lay down the hand and still be in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to brush up on pot odds. The original raiser and caller will be getting great odds to call with a very wide range of hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course he didn't want to be called, but I'd doubt few hands would call his 1500 and not his all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just not true

Also, they point of this play is that we dont think that the original bet meant a lot. The player has been very liberal with his preflop raises. So we know this, we assume that the caller also knows this, making his range wider than usual as well. A raise after a raise and a call usually means a big hand, so both players will fold a very large % of their initial range getting only 1.6-1 on a call.

Also, super system usually is talking about very deep stacked play. You should read Harrington on Hold em
Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Thx and I did amend my response but where do you get 1950+1500+3400...I see the 1500 for the bet and I get 1725 (600+600+200+100+9*25) for the pot, but where is the 3400.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:01 PM

nice to see a flop with 76 and deep stacks.

with stacks not deep then no unless theres 4 people limping and no raises then you can throw 76 away to a single raise, no way you should flat call here.

+EVVVVVV move here
Old 08-02-2005, 01:16 PM

My bads: I did 9*50 (450) for the antes (correct=225 for 1725 pot)

I was pulling 3400 instead of 3700 from memory for Hero's stack size. The figure was villian's call of 1500 plus raise the rest of the stack (in correctly 1500+1900, which should be 1500+2200). This is because villian will get all his chips in before the flop with KK to put Hero to the test for the rest of his stack.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:27 PM

One of the things that Harrington makes clear in HOH2 is that you need to have a read that your opponents are aggressive before making the squeeze play. You said you have no read on EP+1, so I think this is ill advised.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things that Harrington makes clear in HOH2 is that you need to have a read that your opponents are aggressive before making the squeeze play. You said you have no read on EP+1, so I think this is ill advised.

[/ QUOTE ]

While it would be nice to have a read on EP+1, I don't think it is that critical here. What you are assuming here is that he has somewhat of a hand, but not great since he did not re-raise. Now the hero pushes, and the EP+1 guy is facing losing 3700 of his 5000 chips to what appears to be a monster that the hero is holding. If he is sitting there trapping with a big pair, that is just bad luck. In order to succeed in tourneys you cannot always be afraid that someone is trapping. You need to take risks and I cannot see a better opportunity to make a play for a pot than right here.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Yea, you're not worried about the guy in ep+1 because limping behind someone with a marginal hand is reasonable, its really the first person you worry about having a high pocket pair. The other guy is likely to have possibly a low pocket pair or a hand like KQs-J10s which he can't call a raise like this with.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Is the squeeze play getting overused now?

Lately in online MTTs (mostly $20-$50 buyins) I'm seeing the squeeze play all the time. Whenever there is a PF raise (whether a LAG or not) and a caller - somebody in LP or in the blinds will make a substantial re-raise to try to take down the pot PF.

While this is a good play under certain circumstances - the fact that it is being overused and misapplied has made many players weary of the play and thus has prompted counter-measures like calling a PFR with AA/KK (as in this case) or calling a big-raise with less than premium hands because a re-raise after a raise and a call 'looks like a squeeze play'.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Is the squeeze play getting overused now?

I play in this tournament (Stars 19:45 $10+1) every night and I don't see it that often.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 PM

This is a squeeze play, not just a blind steal. You either have to fold 76s to a 3BB raise and one caller, or as in this case you push 3700 chips into the pot, which gives you maximum Folding Equity against the loose raiser and the caller.

You cannot bet 1500 with 76s because of the reasons already stated above. You give the raiser great pot odds if he had a decent hand, and if he calls well forget it, the caller is coming along because it will be too nice of a pot to get away from.

You are trying to put maximum pressure on the loose raiser here, because he will have one more person to act behind him even if he calls your all-in because of the caller, and will tend to fold his weak hand. The caller will then have to have a very strong hand to continue because you made your all in move with two people showing "strength" in front of you, so you must have a good hand, at least that is the perception you are going for.

This situation is clearly outlined in HOH as well. You like to make this move with two cards that are not too bad that could do well on the flop and not be dominated, so 72 is not the hand for this maneuver, but 76s, or T9s, PPs.