Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Everyone wants to learn poker when they see the money...

400 hours at play tables in 2 months... wow i've heard it all now.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I looked at the losing hands and the reasons I lost. I would try and find any error at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's errors in winning hands too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. And for the sake of completeness, let's remember that all too often you play a hand perfectly and still lose a big pot.

Jorge, as for your original question, why not just tell these would-be learners what you've told us: money can be made at poker but only if you are prepared to put a lot of time and thought into the game. As long as you don't give them the impression that it's easy money, you're helping their development as players. And if you can't be bothered spending hours with them on their game (and fair enough) then just point them towards a good book for beginners and let them take it from there.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:11 AM

Alex/Mugaaz: Ive never bought a lottery ticket in my life and if you saw some of my sessions I doubt youd want me to, LOL.

Pythnnn49: Yeah I know kind of crazy I was surprised too.

JoshuaD: I have all the 2+2 books, I own over 25 poker books, ive read about 18 of them.

Punter11235: No one really knows except my family and my closest friends, some people at school have seen me with party poker hats, but I always say I do it for fun and stuff nothing crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
I explained them that poker is difficult, its not easy money. It takes a lot of work and good chunk of life. Its similair to tennis and golf. I asked them if they considered starting to make money from playing golf or tennins (or chess for example)? Poker is similair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats the answer I was looking for. Ill say something like that, it seems possible they will buy it, maybe.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM

Losing 7 buy-ins isn't even running bad, let alone running very bad. You need to read up on standard deviation and bankroll theory. (Every limit you mention your bankroll for you were underrolled by a huge margin.)
Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM

What part is the interesting part?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Moving back to teaching your friends poker...tell them that a lot of the basics they must learn on their own by getting table experience such as playing on Ultimate Bet and reading a poker book. Tell them to keep track of how much they play...after 400 hours of playing see you and you'll show them a couple of things. It will help your game not to mention if they play 400 hours you know they are serious and they want to play poker. Also, teach them some basic tricks such as sand bagging but save the advanced stuff for later or never tell them. Chances are they won't play the 400 and you can say hey I wanted to teach you but you weren't dedicated enough.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chances are they won't play the 400 and you can say hey I wanted to teach you but you weren't dedicated enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats an excellent reply, I think ill try that as well, thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I explained them that poker is difficult, its not easy money. It takes a lot of work and good chunk of life. Its similair to tennis and golf. I asked them if they considered starting to make money from playing golf or tennins (or chess for example)? Poker is similair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats the answer I was looking for. Ill say something like that, it seems possible they will buy it, maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to approach it that way. I don't sugarcoat it. In fact, usually I'll give the darkside and the non-glamourous side first. Then ask if that's really what they want to deal with.

I shy away from lending books. I want them to take the initiative to buy one themselves. It also makes it much easier to try and help them when they have at least some basic foundation.

I also don't put in too much time with them unless they show me that they are really willing to make an effort and a willingness to really listen. Most aren't. As you mentioned, they think it's easy. They think they can learn it in a weekend.

I see this in the cardroom. I ask someone after they're all pissed about losing or whatever if they've ever read anything on the game. It's usually the minimal. An article here and there. Maybe 1 book that's still dusty on the shelf.

b
Old 07-25-2005, 02:48 PM

There is a lot you can teach people without letting them rely on you too much.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You bought all of those books. Tell them which books you liked. Tell them which books are more suitable for beginners. Tell them whether you feel it is a good idea to study from books, or just play.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You spent a long time playing for play money. Tell them whether you think this is a good idea, and how this differs from playing for real money.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You have played on different sites. Tell them what the differences are that you have observed.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Tell them how you move money to and from sites. Tell them what a downswing looks like. Tell them how frequently tournaments are held. Tell them about the difference between shorthanded play and full games. Tell them about multitabling.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chances are they won't play the 400 and you can say hey I wanted to teach you but you weren't dedicated enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats an excellent reply, I think ill try that as well, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Daniel San. Paint the Fence!