Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Folding the nuts... would you... ?

[ QUOTE ]
It's like if you have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] you can't lose!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Course you can, K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is still a drawing threat.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But then again if you hold A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the boards reads 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-rag-rag, do you have a Royal Flush??? I guess not hun.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a pretty crappy hand. decent runner-runner draw.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Position always matters in poker . And AJs is a good hand to see the flop cheaply with, not a great hand you need to be calling a large raise with, especially out of position (which again, is relevant).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is but it is irrelevent according to this topic. If you wouldn't act the same way just pretend you're drunk and put yourself in the scenario.

The vast majority of online players of that limit routinely preflop-raise any Ace, KQ, KJ, KT, K9, QJ, QT, Q9, even JT. Also, any PP. This to establish a table image and confusing opponents to what they really raise with. Most massive raises following tiny raises have PP's and usually small ones to boot out the over-cards and buy the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more with the original and related sentiments. AJs is not a hand to fall in love with. It is a medium strength drawing hand that plays well in position but is considerably weaker out of position and in considering cold-calling raises and re-raises from in position players.

Unless I'm on the verge of being blinded out just before the money, there is no way a preflop call is justifiable.

If you want to stay on topic and assume that you made a mistake by calling, did not get reraised by the original raiser, and then got lucky by flopping the nut flush, then there is only one obvious play: Do whatever is necessary to take that pot down without a turn card being flipped. You have the nuts after the flop, but are very likely to be at risk to get drawn out on by one or both of the preflop raisers. You have to make them pay heavily for the right to draw out on you. To not do so is a major flaw in judgment, IMHO.

Finally to your last point about what the majority of online players may or may not do to "establish table image", it is critical to keep in mind that the majority of online players are full time losing players with little chance of becoming winning players without drastic strategy alterations.

Good solid smart non-self-weighting play kicks "establish(ed) table image" right in the nuts all day long!!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:57 PM

Excellent post.

"in the nuts" is exactly where "image" gets kicked.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:15 PM

Obviously you can't but the guy on a 5 but qs, ks, and 4 are possible but they bet with a flush draw, I'd put sb on a k or k q and mike on 10 high flush
Old 07-21-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How could anyone fold AJs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaah ahahahahahahaha .... etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:16 PM

This hand is just awful.

PF: Open raise.... marginal. Calling the second re-raise? Horrible.
Likely re-raising hands OOP.. AA-QQ AK, all of which we are dominated by.
Flop: I don't like it. You say you've been really aggressive in recent pots... keep it up. Make it 25-30 BBs to go, sets aren't going anywhere, nor are smaller flushes (although I think that they are very unlikely).
Turn: your 2BB bet is just atrocious. Bet at LEAST 1/2 the pot - 3/4 the pot. If he check-raises you still, push.
River: Given your play thus far, fold to the boat.

This pot should have been all in by the turn.

Also.. stack sizes and some reads would be good.

Overall, the big flaw in this hand, as I see it, derives from the following comment:
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously wanna slow play it because you came out swinging the last 4 hands with top pair/middle pair and won without having to show your cards, so the players respect you now.

[/ QUOTE ]
First off, players do NOT respect you more, they respect you less given this information.
Second off, this flop hit pretty much every re-raising hand except for JJ, and most will give you at least some action, and some may give you a LOT of action.

The decision to slowplay or not should not be made based purely on the texture of the board. The only time I would slow play this hand would be if the other players were betting very large at the pot for me. Even then, I would still raise the turn. Any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] kills your action, and any card that pairs the board puts you in a tough spot.

You set up a nice aggressive table image for yourself.... this is the time to use it.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 PM

post deleted
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 PM

Two reraises preflop KK,QQ are very possible.
Given Mike reraises the SB on the flop I'm over the top all in here.
OK you decided to call and receive a brick on the turn.
Your play on the turn is basically telling the drawing hands to come and get me. Given you have slow played Mike probably thinks his hand is good at the moment. Theres about 66BB in the pot, you dont mention how much you have left but you need to make a big enough bet that will represent your hand and price Mike off a 10 outer. He may still call but atleast give him the wrong price to do so.

ALL IN ON THE TURN, PROCTECT YOUR HAND.