Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-04-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Lowest top pair you ever saw

Converter is broken, so will hand-enter this.

Loose-passive $1/2 table at Absolute Poker. Yes, there are loose tables there; this one is running about 50% flop rate for the table, and only one hand in three or four is being raised preflop.

Hero is CO with [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6.

Normally this is a turbomuck for me even on the button. I was feeling whimsical, and the table wasn't raising much, so, what the hey....

UTG calls, 1 fold, MP1 and MP2 call, 1 fold, Hero calls against his better judgment, button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 (6SB, 6 players)

check, check, check, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero...

MP1 and MP2 have both chased weak draws without the odds and played some substandard hands but they don't play any two cards.

It's a fold or raise situation obviously. Which do you do?

Hero raised with a bad taste in his mouth. SB calls two, fold, fold, call, call.

Turn: [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 (4 players, 7 BB)

Check, check, check.

It's one of the less scary overcards that could come. It didn't complete any sane straight draws. it didn't help the heart draws. I may not be ahead, but it's critical not to give a free card, isnt it, especially to people who go too far with weak draws?

So, the taste in my mouth got worse....

Hero bets, fold, call, call.

River: [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q (9.5 BB after rake, 3 players.)

A little bit scarier overcard - but didn't help anyone on a draw.

Check, check.

Does hero check? Or is there any point in betting and seeing if 77 folds or A4 calls down?

Comments welcome about any street (except the preflop, which I already admit is below my usual standard. Don't bother repleating that.)
Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Lowest top pair you ever saw

With that many limpers, I like the preflop call as long as you are pretty sure there will be no raise behind you (and if this is a passive table that's fine).

I agree with the flop raise - The pot is too large to just fold your TPGK, and between raising and calling, you certainly need to narrow the field down, so I think raising is the best play.

Turn bet is good - definately don't want to give free cards, and you have a fairly good chance of having the best hand still.

The river is, I think, the most difficult decision. Are there any hands that MP1 and 2 will call with that you beat? I think reads help as well. Would they call with a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for example? If they would then you have a value bet. Otherwise, a check seems to be in order. On a passive, loose table like this, with no other reads I would be tempted to value bet it - you only need to be good 1 time in 3 for it to be profitable.