Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 PM

Default $50+5 Is this to weak?

I've been playing my way throug sng's lateley, starting at 10+1 and now I'm playing 50+5s.
My usual "strategy" in the early rounds has been to only play good starting hands (AQo+) from good position but recently I've been limping more.
This hand is one of those limps, not a perfect flop but I decided to play it anyways, lots of draws on the board so I bet the pot, however is folding to a reraise on the flop here to weak? I figured with so many limps behind me someone had flopped a set, he didn't reraise allin but just min-raised, or I was simply outkicked.
Since this was early I wasn't to happy to be moving in with TP2K, how bad was this play?

Any thoughts and comments are greatly apreciated!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t1870)
MP1 (t1080)
Hero (t780)
MP3 (t1910)
CO (t965)
Button (t870)
SB (t945)
BB (t905)
UTG (t675)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, Hero calls t30, MP3 calls t30, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t210) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP3 calls t250, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t500</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero folds, MP3 calls t250.

Turn: (t1460) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, CO checks.

River: (t1460) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: t1460
Old 05-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: $50+5 Is this to weak?

fold preflop
Old 05-20-2005, 02:25 AM

obviously fold preflop, but barring that. Imagine u flopped this from BB... bet 150 on the flop, save youself some chips... folding to this raise is fine.

Another line that require committing many chips is the check-raise line, but most won't like this like because it usually pot commits you.

Some would even go so far as to say check-fold. But a modest bet of 150 gets you ALL the informatin you need w/o read.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:34 AM

Position = IMPORTANT!!!!

You = Bad Position.

Bad Position = Fold KJs 100% of the time.

I would have bet t150, not t250, but I think you were beat after that raise.

But really, position = important!! Without position, you have crap. I find it hard to play AK and AQ out of position, let alone some crap like KJ.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Position = IMPORTANT!!!!

You = Bad Position.

Bad Position = Fold KJs 100% of the time.

I would have bet t150, not t250, but I think you were beat after that raise.

But really, position = important!! Without position, you have crap. I find it hard to play AK and AQ out of position, let alone some crap like KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you here, im going to lay this down unless the guy had been bluffing and trying to buy pots all game. It really doesnt benefeit you to make this call on the re-raise. It's a simple risk/reward pretty much.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:40 AM

incase you somehow missed it every other post before this, fold preflop. I'de be a generous guy and donate 150 chips to the pot on the flop and already have my mouse over the fold button preparing for somone to raise me. On second thought, I'm checking this and playing it from there (probably folding). against 7 other players I really don't see you winning a showdown with this hand or taking a pot worth the risk.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:29 AM

after going check check on the turn and river, i can almost guarantee KJ is good there. you pussy.

ok, in all seriousness, everyone says fold preflop. fine. but you didnt. so how to play the hand from here. TPSBK is NOT a strong hand here. period. you have 7 players seeing the flop with you on a relatively draw heavy board. not good for TPSBK. you are oop on this flop. check. view the action, then try to make a decision based on that. if you DO lead into the field, DO NOT make it for 250. that nearly pot commits you. you dont want that. holla