FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Osama wants as President:
GWB 30 42.25%
Kerry 17 23.94%
Hillary (in '08) 3 4.23%
He doesn't care 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Will there ever be another Jeopardy! champion as great as Ken Jennings

There will be another long run - past champs could have done the same under the current rules.

The thing is, knowing the answers is not the hardest part - it is being quick to buzz in. Presumably, one would get better / in more of a grove as you play more games so if you are close to the challengers in skill level, then your extra practice will get you more opportunities to answer correctly and give you an edge to keepo winning.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Will there ever be another Jeopardy! champion as great as Ken Jennings

[ QUOTE ]

I think Jeopardy is a high-stress job. $2.5M is a lot of dough for most people. The combination of those two could have easily caused him to lose on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I've seldom read anything as dumb as this. Lose on purpose!?!? Sure, why don't I just walk away with $1.5 million (after taxes) rather than try to make $30,000 a day doing something fun that takes about a half hour.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Will there ever be another Jeopardy! champion as great as Ken Jenn

I sense a lot of sour grapes from frustrated nerds here, or from anti-nerds.

Ken's a nerd who made good, like Bill Gates in a way. More power to him. It's nice when someone gets a little acclaim for being bright. God forbid anyone be admired for something besides throwing a ball or singing a song.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:10 PM

He actually got knocked out on his own bad decisions. If he had bet $0 on the two daily doubles, he would have had $9600 more and been out of reach. (It is mathematically incorect to bet so much in that situation unless he was 99%+ confident that he would know the answer to the question.)
Old 12-01-2004, 03:23 PM

who the hell bets $0 on a daily double?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He actually got knocked out on his own bad decisions. If he had bet $0 on the two daily doubles, he would have had $9600 more and been out of reach. (It is mathematically incorect to bet so much in that situation unless he was 99%+ confident that he would know the answer to the question.)

[/ QUOTE ]

at that point, surviving to the next show wasn't his main concern(I'm guessing)
Old 12-01-2004, 03:59 PM

You are incorrect. The entity Ken is an alien. Its mission is now complete. Its corporeal existence is now irrelevant. Its being is now returned to the pod. End transmission.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He looked like he was trying to win, but it could be that he threw the final jeoperdy question, but why would he? There is freakin money on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jeopardy is a high-stress job. $2.5M is a lot of dough for most people. The combination of those two could have easily caused him to lose on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

What color is the sky in your world?

This guy is a software engineer. It ain't getting boring for him, and I can guarantee you, it wasn't all that stressful for the reward given.

Seriously. Just think about how silly your contention sounds.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Ken Jennings will be back on Jeopardy

And probably more than one time. When they finally get enough 4 and 5 day (and more) winners to hold a "Tournament of Champions" he will come back and cruise to victory again. Plus they have had tournaments where they bring back champions from previous years for an "ultimate" Jeopardy Championship...I think they gave away $1 million to the winner of one of these.

The ratings on the show during his run were too good not to find ways to bring him back for an encore.

He is working on a book, and also will probably be a lot of players "phone a friend" on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, in addition to his recent trip through the talk show circuit. He'll continue to annoy for years to come!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at that point, surviving to the next show wasn't his main concern(I'm guessing)

[/ QUOTE ]

and that's why he lost.