Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Euthanasia

[ QUOTE ]
Then my wording is the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps. I'm very confused as to what your exact position is now.

[ QUOTE ]
I was saying that since there is a law that I agree with, I would side with it instead of saying "it should be changed."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm failing to see how this matters. Most people side with laws they like instead of saying they should be changed. Do you mean, you support laws against euthanasia because you don't like euthanasia and to defend such laws you'd not their illegality instead of debating whether you have a right to suicide/assisted suicide? I don't understand. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So what is the solution here? All things considered morally reprehensible should be made legal, because to make some (ie, poker) legal and others (euthanasia) not would be arbitrary? BTW, this is really helpful stuff, keep 'er comin. I need to figure out exactly where I stand here.

[ QUOTE ]
Kudos for understanding at least, that's more than most people in this country would say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The OP does deserve credit for this. He seems like a fairly tolerant guy, at least, for someone who wants to tell me how to live my life. (sorry - i couldn't resist)
Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm failing to see how this matters. Most people side with laws they like instead of saying they should be changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't supposed to really matter. that's why I'm so confused as to why you keep talking about it. I suppose I made it really more important sounding than it was. I was just stating how everybody acts concerning laws they support.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is the solution here? All things considered morally reprehensible should be made legal, because to make some (ie, poker) legal and others (euthanasia) not would be arbitrary? BTW, this is really helpful stuff, keep 'er comin. I need to figure out exactly where I stand here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i admire you kid! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You've got it. The exception is, of course, you can't hurt someone else against their own volition.

Let me put it one more way and then I'm signing off: Because I do things that "you" think are degenerate but I still want to continue doing them (strip clubs, binge drinking, gambling, etc), and because "you" do other things that I think are degenerate and you want to continue to do them (proseleytizing, book burning [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] joke [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] , etc) let us agree to let each other do what we want no matter how morally reprehensible we find each other.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 AM

As you all have probably figured out so far, this post is less about the girl's paper and more about me. Being questioned on specifics and the consequences of the policies I support forces me to look at where I really am on the issue. I started out this attempting to waste time while I wait for my laundry to get done (almost there.) I'm sorry if I seem confusing or contradictory in my posts, its because I AM confused and contradictory in my logic regarding the issue. After all, how do we formulate our "concrete" ideas on politics? By forcing ourselves to look at what may be wrong with our argument, and adjusting accordingly.

edit: Laundry has been done for 20 minutes. Damn politics...I can go to bed now.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: Laundry has been done for 20 minutes. Damn politics...I can go to bed now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed my laundry by a good 2 hours. I guess that's what I get for starting it at 2 in the morning.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there really a difference (besides the wording) of assisted suicide and suicide? Both are meant to end a person's life, and in both instances the person wants to die. Why are we sugarcoating it?

[/ QUOTE ]

To me they are the same. We sugarcoat it because we sugarcoat everything these days. The packaging is more important than the content (unfortunately).

[ QUOTE ]

Does God not want us to suffer ever, or only if we have terminal illnesses? If never, then why cant a man just ask a doctor to give him an OD of a certain drug cause he is depressed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely no idea what God wants.

[ QUOTE ]
Are we sure that we are ending a person's sufffering?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the person alive is in pain, and pain=suffering -- then yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Was Shiavo suffering?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shiavo had already been dead for years.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO she was a vegetable, not capable of feeling at all. IIRC, the husband stood to benefit from her death. Was he not engaged to another woman at the time of the decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelavent. She was already dead.

I maintain asbolute authority over my body and my life. I don't really care what the constitution, congress, SCOTUS, or the Catholic church says. Period.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the religious conservatives will say, 'all life is precious and only God can take it away' then they'll drop about 15 five ton bombs near civilian houses in the name of Democracy and self-defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.