Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:20 PM

Default AJs from the SB.

I'll be glad to here some advices on this hand.

Two table SNG, down to 7, paying 3.

MP2 is the big stack at the table with ~45BB. He has raised 3 times in the final table (didn't play with him in the first one), with QQ, A10s and 55. All were X3 the BB.

UTG is a pretty bad player. Limps ALOT with a huge range of hands.

Two short stacks are gonna be blinded off soon, so the blinds are going to hit me strong.

I got ~12BB, with AJs in the SB. UTG limps, MP2 raises to X3 BB. What's my play here?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: AJs from the SB.

With 12 BB, I can fold and wait for a better shot. The big stack has plenty of chips to call your raise and I don't think AJ will win much more than 50% vs. his range of hands.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM

I have just started my journey into tournament poker, so my advice may be off here. For me, you chip position is the determining factor here.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:51 PM

Even with the 2 stacks blinded off you are going to need some chips to fight off your table bully when it gets to 5-way. If you think there's a good chance of hands like A10, KQ, KJ (judging by your read, this is a possibility) then I would push. This accomplishes a few important things:

1) You are saying "Stop pushing me around" which will be very +EV when you get down to 4-5 people
2) It would be a crucial double-up before the blinds make you push with any two.

In sum, I would say it's a toss up between pushing and folding here. I would go with pushing.

Z
Old 06-16-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have just started my journey into tournament poker, so my advice may be off here. For me, you chip position is the determining factor here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 5th out of 7. As I said, the shorter stacks are pretty much dead. The BB got 3BB left and he's a terrible weak-tight player who stands no chance. Button got 4-5 BB's and he doesn't seem like much of a player either. They both pretty much folded their way here.

4th got ~18BB, 3rd ~25 (UTG) and 2nd got ~30.

In other words, I can fold here and wait for a better spot, but that spot gotta come soon.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 PM

I play Sngs full time, and 12 x BB 5 handed is ALOT of time to find a better spot than AJ, esp against a big stack. AQ, probably, but not AJ. If the big stack would raise with A QT, 98s type hand to isolate the weak limper, than a reraise all in is in order... But the way you describe it, that doesnt seem to be in case.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Yeah, I'm leaning toward folding as well, but pushing wouldn't be completely horrible. I don't like it though, seems like MP has a good hand. You have spots to steal still.