Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 04:41 AM

Default AKs really loose call down

villian is 45/3/0.83

Turn gave me gutshot and overcard draw and I figured that he might be on a flush draw semi-bluff. On the river, I called on the chance that he have the busted flush draw.

I know I played this one way too loose/passive. Comments?

-Eric

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.66 BB
Old 05-22-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: AKs really loose call down

If UTG is passive postflop, I'd fold the river. But if UTG is tricky and doesn't play like an open book, you can raise the flop and reevaluate. You may be able to pick up the pot with a bet on the turn, and if you're called there, you can likely showdown for free. This would be cheaper than calling all the way down anyway.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:24 AM

I like the flop raise, but is a fold too weak-tight? If not, where do people fold here?

-Eric
Old 05-22-2005, 06:48 AM

I play it the same and win showdown often enough when he shows me a busted draw.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:55 AM

Raise the flop for a free card. Fold the river unimproved. Your opponent is passive, so his bets mean something.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop for a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Fold to a 3-bet? How about a stop'n'go that's oh so popular these days? It's hard to beat just calling it down.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:11 AM

Of course you don't fold to a 3-bet. When I miss with AK heads-up, I vary on a flop raise for a free card and a flop raise-turn bet. The line I take depends on the opponent. Because this guy looks to be the passive type, I'm giving him credit for a pair here. Since he's on the loose side of things, I'm not going to try and bet him off his hand. On top of that, passive players are willing to slow down to aggression much more quickly, increasing the chance that the free-card play will be successful.

So, I choose the free card play because:

1) His bet into me on the flop after my pre-flop raise makes me think I'm behind.
2) Because he is loose-passive, I don't think I can make him fold his pair.

Now, if you do want to go to a showdown with him unimproved, you still need to raise the flop. After that, I'm fine with the bet going in on either the turn (betting for a free showdown) or the river (taking the free card and calling the river unimproved). Either of those two will get you to a showdown for 4 small bets. Calling down costs you 5.

Oh, and if he 3-bets me on the flop I call the flop, call the turn, and fold the river unimproved.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:13 AM

I don't like raising the flop vs a limper who just bet into a preflop raiser. We'd rarely get a freecard in this instance, and get 3-bet a whole lot.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:16 AM

I disagree. I find that raising the flop heads-up after raising pre-flop, I can get a free card a very high percentage of the time against almost any opponent. If you get 3-bet on the flop, you're very likely up against a strong hand.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like raising the flop vs a limper who just bet into a preflop raiser. We'd rarely get a freecard in this instance, and get 3-bet (edit: or stop'n'goed) a whole lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that raising is an option to consider, but calling down is a very nice default play.