Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Ub.net pro tip of the day!!

[ QUOTE ]
Probably very good advice for a beginner

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the part where he said to raise and reraise with those hands before the flop until capped?

D.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:26 PM

Last time I checked, poker wasn't (generally) for people with ADHD. Laak excepted.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When i first got started Play Poker Like the Pros was one of the first books i read, and i used the "top 10 hands" strategy to build my initial bankroll with bonuswhoring. I credit Phill with making me realize what tight agressive play really is. I've since moved on to better strategies and much better books, but for somebody who doesn't know anything I often reccomend they start with the top 10 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.. Phil's limit section is a very good start for beginners to learn Tight-Aggressive poker.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I checked, poker wasn't (generally) for people with ADHD. Laak excepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many beginners though can sit and play only one hand every 15-20 minutes on average?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many beginners though can sit and play only one hand every 15-20 minutes on average?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... and I think that's why most beginners play a lot of hands. They're playing poker for fun and amusement... and that's not folding 15/16 hands.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 PM

I originally started with this strategy also. I did add in his majority play hands pretty quickly.

I hardly knew the rules of poker and had only read Phil's book, but I was able to beat Party 50/1 and 10 SnGs pretty easily. Obviously, my win rate went up when I found 2+2 books and forums, but it is pretty easy to beat low limit games simply following Phil's advice and using your head a little.

I ran pretty good right away or I would have busted out early (since I was way underbankrolled), but I am pretty sure I had a positive expectation after having read just his book.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 PM

I think the majority of players using Phils advice will be in the 1/2 and under limits. His strategy is simple, quick to learn and will be profitable at those levels.

The last thing I would like to see if for a clueless player to apply Phils system, become a winner and seek out more/better literature.

I have a lot of Phils stuff, just because I am a poker media whore and I own everything poker. His tournament DVD is very good as far as turning a total donk into someone with a +ROI for SNG's.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:03 AM

yeah. i agree it's a better strategy than typical VP-80 donk-play and gets you on the correct path generally speaking.

i guess i didn't fully convey how amused i was to see hellmuth with all the top 10 hands laid out in order.

just watching phil talk and how full of himself he is somewhat amuses me on its own.
and the 'advice' was in the middle of this all-in fest-of-a-tournament as well.

he's talking about 'patience' and 'just play my top 10 hands like i will show you in my book' and then they cut right back and some short-stack is all-in with Q6o or something (and it's probably not a half-bad play either given the structure, etc)
Old 08-01-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess i didn't fully convey how amused i was to see hellmuth with all the top 10 hands laid out in order.

just watching phil talk and how full of himself he is somewhat amuses me on its own.
and the 'advice' was in the middle of this all-in fest-of-a-tournament as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was funny, but I think you had to see it. I did and I agree with you.

I actually love watching Phil. My personal favorite Phil moment was in the HU championship was when he would stumble all over himself racing to put his chips in the pot when he thought he had induced an all in bet from a weaker hand. Classic Helmouth.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When i first got started Play Poker Like the Pros was one of the first books i read, and i used the "top 10 hands" strategy to build my initial bankroll with bonuswhoring. I credit Phill with making me realize what tight agressive play really is. I've since moved on to better strategies and much better books, but for somebody who doesn't know anything I often reccomend they start with the top 10 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing party SnGs, and used a combination of the Top 10 and Top 15 by position, then tossing in his limit Majority Play hands as we got short handed.

I built my bank playing party NL SnGs this way.