Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Default A Gus Hansen tell? (Poker Superstars invitational . . . )

This is probably just a coincidence, but . . .

I was watching the PSI at the Palms (Gus vs Howard, Doyle, Ivey, Chan, etc.) and, of course, was amused by the wide assortment of facial ticks and head scratching that took place any time Gus was trying to put his opponents on an assortment of hands. Maybe he'd thinking about bluffing, maybe he'd have a great hand and just gotten raised and wondering whether to call, point is that his face would be doing jumping jacks.

Last hand with Chan, where he flopped the nuts . . . no contortions. No grimaces. No head-scratching. He wasn't Phil-Ivey blank, but all action had decreased by about a degree of magnitude.

Apparently, when all he's thinking about is how to get all of your money, his face doesn't have to work overtime . . .

Admittedly, small sample size problem here. And also, there's about a 0.00000001% chance that this is something I'll ever need to actually worry about [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But for those few posters here like Fossilman who play in the Big Stakes games . . . well, maybe something to keep an eye on.

When his face doesn't do jumping jacks, watch out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 02-15-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: A Gus Hansen tell? (Poker Superstars invitational . . . )

Well don't tell anyone. Go play with him.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 PM

One thing to consider was the action in all those facial shot ticks. Most of the time he was deciding whether or not he was priced in or a head of an all-in. He didn't really care about giving anything away to his opponents in those cases.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM

Gus has a more obvious tell than that...watch his chip shuffling when he is bluffing vs when he has a legitimate made hand, especially after the the current street has been dealt face up....
Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well don't tell anyone. Go play with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll get right on that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-15-2005, 11:05 PM

This will definitely help me in my weekly games with the Great Dane! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 02:26 AM

If I remember right, he was facing a all-in.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gus has a more obvious tell than that...watch his chip shuffling when he is bluffing vs when he has a legitimate made hand, especially after the the current street has been dealt face up....

[/ QUOTE ]

what does he do....I may actually need this as I will be playing a WPT event with him in a few weeks.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:17 AM

its obvious, if Gus is taking a long time that means he is on a draw and calculating the odds. He definately thinks longer when he doesnt have a hand then when he does. Thats not to say that he will quick call when hes got the nuts, but is definately faster than if he had nothing. The PSI finals made it more obvious to me. and when he actually has something, he nomrally isnt fidgeting with anything or shuffling chips.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:52 AM

I think there was a televised instance of him at a WPT final table with Chip Reese. Chip was bullying everyone around and Gus had AA. However he was acting like he was thinking and that jazz for at least two minutes. Eventually he called, Chip pushed in the flop to which Gus instantly called.

So there is at least one televised exception. I did notice that tell that the original poster spoke of though, it was very obvious that something was different that hand.