Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Hero and QQ in 15/30

Heres another one of those multiway vulnerable hand planning to knock players out hands.

hero gets QQ utg+1 fairly loose somewhat aggressive field.

UTG limps hero raises QQ(black-but suits irreleavent) 3 cold calls bb calls.

flop: 8c7s5d

hero bets first cold caller (part of the aggressive field) raises 2nd cold caller cold calls, 3rd cold caller cold calls and bb folds hero calls(?).

turn 7c.

hero bets (continuation of the ?) 1st cold caller raises all fold to hero he calls.

river Kc.

river action irrelavent.

question: is this plan knock out poeple on the turn a good one?
-Barron
Old 05-15-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Hero and QQ in 15/30

Your post looked so lonely DC I felt I should respond. I think it was a good plan to limit the field, but why not 3 bet the turn? It sounds to me like you thought you were ahead and wanted to make sure you stayed that way. When you succeeded in limiting the field, you just called...did you no longer believe you had the best hand or am I misreading your thought process?

j.k.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:13 PM

This post reminds of an awful hand I hand during an awful 30-60 on party like a week and a half ago. It was very similar. The game was pretty bad (I'm working harder on game seletion), but the villian in this hand was a weak spot, but then I turned out to be king chump. I had JJ and raised like 2 limpers, blinds called. 5 to the flop of rags. bet, a few calls, i raised, maybe one folded, all called. turn was another rag. checked to me, i bet, 2 callers, now the weak spot check-raised. In spots like this, he usually had a hand - i.e. 2 pair or better, but I didn't want to fold since the pot was huge, and there was a 2 gapper to a small straight on the board, so I tried the ol' 3 bet the turn, maybe knock people out, maybe countefeit someone, and take the free showdown. . . what actually happened: the initial bettor and caller called 2 each, now the weak spot CAPPED. Ayyyeee. So I decided I was crushed and called. If the river was a jack, I would call, everything else I would fold. I hate folds in ginormous pots, but this was the place. . . So the river paired the board. Capper bet, i folded, the 2 two other players also folded, and then the whole table accused me of being a cheater for the next half hour. The rail went nuts and like 8 different people said they just reported the hand. . . As for your hand, I think you are screwed, I feel your confusion, I have no good advice to give, but I hope you called it all down and won [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-15-2004, 07:17 PM

I like the turn bet. You either have the best hand or are way behind a set or a flopped straight. The possibility of a set would preclude me from reraising the turn. A set here is quite possible with the turn raise, as a set could easily raise the coordinated flop in a large pot. AA, KK, JJ or TT would have probably 3 bet preflop. 99, A8s, 98s, 66 are non-set hands that could be played this way, thus reraising the turn is definitely an option, but I would play just as Barron did once it became head up.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:14 AM

hi dc
you're fine. check-call the river.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:47 PM

"river Kc. river action irrelavent."

here's where youre wrong. i think this is a great card to bet.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
question: is this plan knock out poeple on the turn a good one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is a lot of merit to this. I've been doing this more and more, whereas I used to try to ram and jam the flop.

Noted Poker Authority Ed Miller is a big advocate of waiting until the turn to raise in loose games. In this case, you used your position to bet out and get the original raiser to clear the field.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:05 AM

Noted Poker Authority Ed Miller is a big advocate of waiting until the turn to raise in loose games. In this case, you used your position to bet out and get the original raiser to clear the field.

3-betting this flop would be a significant error, IMO.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:37 AM

3-betting this flop would be a significant error, IMO.

Do tell.

I mean, if I knew I was going to get two bets in on the turn, sure, I have no argument there.

But if you're planning to bet the turn regardless of what falls, I don't see how 3-betting the flop can be a significant mistake, or a mistake at all for that matter (given that your turn bet is not a mistake). I suppose that your argument is that it's much more likely that the flop raiser raises again if you don't 3bet, but I'm just not convinced that this is true.

Is there more to this?

FWIW, I'm about to post a somewhat similar hand in which I did 3bet the flop.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:05 PM

yes but i didn't want to get involved in a river discussion here...just the turn thanx [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Barron