Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Do you fire the last cannon?

Game .50/1 NL Hold'em Bodog.com

Hero $80
Villain $85

No real reads on villain, a little loose, most of the time watching him he was in the hand, probably about %45 VP

Hero is in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], UTG calls, everybody folds to Hero who raises to $4 total, UTG calls. Pot size $8.50

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 : [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero bets $5, Villain calls. Pot $18.50

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero bets $12, Villain calls $12 Pot size $42.50

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Hero checks, Villain checks.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Do you fire the last cannon?

It's ok looks like he is calling down here anyway.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 PM

Unless villain is a complete moron, he's not calling your flop bet with absolutely nothing. This flop is pretty dry so there's a pretty good chance he's got a weak Kx hand and figures that your "king" is stronger (he *might* also have JT but I think that's less likely). That being said, he won't lay down top pair for any amount of money.

Fireing the first bet on the flop is standard. Fireing a second bet on the river is chip spewing. Fireing a third bet would just be handing villain your chips.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM

I have to have a solid read to fire the 3rd barrel. Looks like you ran into a calling station so checking the river is fine. He doesn't have a king with a good kicker (if he even has a K), but will pay to see yours. Next time just have the K and lay the hammer down.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:18 PM

Your right, he wasn't laying down his pair, but he didn't have top pair, or middle pair, nor bottom pair for that matter. His pair didn't even beat the board. So what does that tell you about what kind of player he is?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:18 PM

I don't think you gain much by betting, if he is on a draw with something like JT he will fold, but you win that pot anyway by checking. I don't think he folds anything that has you beat. I think the only way betting makes you money is if he holds something like A8 and he folds so you win the whole pot instead of splitting. When your best case outcome has him folding a hand you would split the pot with it is not worth all the times he calls and beats you.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM

Betting this river doesn't have a whole lot of value I don't think. If he has a K he's calling you, he probably doesn't have a 9 considering the turn action, and you beat/chop with anything else. The only concern would be villian possibly making a move with a whiffed draw if you check....
Old 12-21-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your right, he wasn't laying down his pair, but he didn't have top pair, or middle pair, nor bottom pair for that matter. His pair didn't even beat the board. So what does that tell you about what kind of player he is?

[/ QUOTE ]

The type of player who I'm NOT going to bluff against with just A high.

This type of loose passive player will quickly bleed off his stack to you, but you're going to have to actually have a hand to beat him. It doesn't have to be the BEST hand, but it has to be A hand.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If villian cant beat the board there really is no point in betting.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:37 PM

This is the kind of stuff that just drive me to be more tight/passive all the time. Continuation bets, semi-bluffs, bluffs are just wasted on guys who will call you down with bottom pair.