Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Limit and No-Limit

Interested in your thoughts . . .
I've been playing micro limit hold 'em for about a year (off-n-on). I play 10-handed, and do not play tourneys. Lately, I've played in a couple NL freerolls to pass the time, and I'm wondering if I should take a closer look at this? Where my head is at right now, I want Limit to continue to be my focus.

My question is -- is NL any more/less lucrative than Limit? Is there a danger that a Limit player will misunderstand or misapply some important NL concepts? Can NL pollute my Limit game, or can my Limit experience make learning NL harder? My perception always had been the bad players play Limit because it was simpler to grasp. Would you agree with this?

I consider myself a relatively solid Limit player at my stakes. My BB/100 right now (after some really discouraging bad streaks) is .85. It had been in excess of 2.0. It's moving in the right direction now. I've got about 12K hands, and I am maintaining a profit for all of it.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Limit and No-Limit

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing micro limit hold 'em for about a year (off-n-on). I play 10-handed, and do not play tourneys. Lately, I've played in a couple NL freerolls to pass the time, and I'm wondering if I should take a closer look at this? Where my head is at right now, I want Limit to continue to be my focus.

My question is -- is NL any more/less lucrative than Limit? Is there a danger that a Limit player will misunderstand or misapply some important NL concepts? Can NL pollute my Limit game, or can my Limit experience make learning NL harder? My perception always had been the bad players play Limit because it was simpler to grasp. Would you agree with this?

I consider myself a relatively solid Limit player at my stakes. My BB/100 right now (after some really discouraging bad streaks) is .85. It had been in excess of 2.0. It's moving in the right direction now. I've got about 12K hands, and I am maintaining a profit for all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think of limit as checkers, then no-limit is chess.

Players that are excellent at limit can usually learn to reasonably well in no-limit, but yes, I see serious mistakes made by limit players when they start playing NL.

As for NL players learning limit, the biggest problem is being unable to protect their hands, and finding themselves unable to avoid giving other players at the game good drawing odds.

As I said, it's day and night - they are very different.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 PM

You should play what you enjoy playing. It's easy for some people to burn out. Vary up what you play.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, and don't take this personally...but 12k hands isn't [censored]. You cannot base any winrate assumptions on this.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think of limit as checkers, then no-limit is chess.

Players that are excellent at limit can usually learn to reasonably well in no-limit, but yes, I see serious mistakes made by limit players when they start playing NL.

As for NL players learning limit, the biggest problem is being unable to protect their hands, and finding themselves unable to avoid giving other players at the game good drawing odds.

As I said, it's day and night - they are very different.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The checkers/chess analogy drastically overestimates the the differences in complexity between NL and limit.

I'd say NL players' biggest problem in limit is being too loose preflop.
-James
Old 11-16-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The checkers/chess analogy drastically overestimates the the differences in complexity between NL and limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
It also overestimates the difference in complexity between checkers and chess. Most people will agree checkers is simpler than chess. So what? Most people are ignorant. Checkers is not solved, and any competitive checkers player will wipe the floor with any casual checkers player, even one who is good at chess or games in general.

Limit and NL are different games. It is easy to become a winning player at low stakes versions of each. It is hard to become an expert.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My perception always had been the bad players play Limit because it was simpler to grasp.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no shortage of terrible players at the NL tables. ESPN has a done a lot for a decent NL player's income.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 AM

I started at limit and never made it passed 3/6, i have been told this is the level you have to beat, before you really start to make it.
these levels and my under educated play, i lost mostly, i didnt have to intellect to protect my hand.
so on a whim, and bit of tilt i decided i could protect my hand if i was in no limit...so i made the switch

i win more per hour now, and really is just alot more fun for "me" to play.

limit helped my NL game, preflop, reading appointents, reading the board, and most importantly with patience.

i re-tried Limit about two weeks ago, and lost about 80$ in 2/4, so NL made my Limit game worse
But Limit made my NL game good