Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Default KJs in SB vs. button raise.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Button is 18/11/2.1. Hero is tight 15/8/2ish.

Is KJs worth a play here in $3/6?
If it is does anybody reraise preflop?
Do you like the check-raise on the turn?
What is villain 3-betting with here?

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>...

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: KJs in SB vs. button raise.

If I'm playing I'm 3 betting. A lot of it depends on his ASB #'s, but I think I'm mostly playing.

I think you're behind on the turn to a set or an overpair, but I call down.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:38 PM

3 bet pre-flop and lead the flop, barring that I'd tend to bet/call the turn and river.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:39 PM

1. Reraise pre-flop. You want the initiative going into this battle. Your hand plays reasonably well against the range of villain's stealing hands.

2. The flop is sort of interesting. You aren't getting odds to simply try to hit a card here, but the potential that villain might check behind or something like that makes this a fine peel. It's much nicer to be entering the pot with the initiative as you give yourself a chance to win without improving.

3. Turn check-raise is good I think. You should probably call down, because top pair is very strong in a battle like this.

What I've found is that many opponents simply expect you to try to take the pot from them in heads-up battles like this, and will dig in with next to nothing.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM

I never ever call in SB facing a stealraise from button. Of course I would like a atsb% number on this player, but I 3-bet against a player with these stats.

Like I said in the other defense post, please post the villains ASB% number. Like Brett said, I'm 3-betting or folding preflop.

It looks like he has you beat. 3- betting PF might have given you that info earlier and saved you a few bets. But his aggression and ASB are pretty key here.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:54 PM

ASB = 33%.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't getting odds to simply try to hit a card here, but the potential that villain might check behind or something like that makes this a fine peel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Statement:
In a situation like this, where we need an overlay from villain checking the the river behind to peel on the turn, it can never be correct to check/call the river (UI).
True/false?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't getting odds to simply try to hit a card here, but the potential that villain might check behind or something like that makes this a fine peel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be over-applying the concept from Nate's post. I think its important that we've seen villan check the turn in this spot when we peel, not hope he checks.