Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 PM

Default A hand I was asked to post

fullish table - I open from the hijack with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. folded to a decent sb who calls and a ok LAG in the bb calls.

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
checked to me and I bet, sb folds, bb c/r I call

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He bets, I raise

King of overplay or the right line?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: A hand I was asked to post

Full table or short?.

I think you are beaten on the turn.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:16 PM

if you 3-bet the flop you can see if he really likes his hand. If he caps you can fold. If he calls you may get a free card. As it is you are raising with 2BB when he could be far ahead with AQ or KQ or 88 or whatever. Or you might take it. Fold to a re-raise? ugly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Hands like this confuse me and perhaps I suck but here is my thinking:

not really sure if up against a bluff, middle pair, straight draw, flush draw, queen, or worse a set.

I am not sure how much value my hand has but I know I can get to showdown for two bets. Perhaps that passive play is bad in that it lets a draw get there cheaply, but on the other hand a busted draw might bet into you on river, you may hit a two outer (unlikely), you may allow bluffer to keep bluffing.

My play here is to just call it down as I think that is a better play than raising and folding to a reraise against a laggy player.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:31 PM

if i have any sort of control over the guy this is my default line...hand is much to good to fold. however if i fear a 3-bet often then calling down is better i think.

i think capping the flop is your worst option for this hand.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not really sure if up against a bluff, middle pair, flush draw queen, or worse a set.

I am not sure how much value my hand has but I know I can get to showdown for two bets. Perhaps that passive play is bad in that it lets a draw get there cheaply, but on the other hand a busted draw might bet into you on river, you may hit a two outer (unlikely), you may allow bluffer to keep bluffing.

My play here is to just call it down as I think that is a better play than raising and folding to a reraise against a laggy player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a player like this I would also do the straight call down for the same reasons, and obviously bet the river if he checks. I'm interested to see other opinions though. Anyone likes OP's line better?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:50 PM

As long as u get to a showdwon, prolly doesnt matter a lot what u do. If hes goona bet with a hand u beat on the river then I would prefer call call. If he check folds the river with a heart draw straight draw or total bluff then raise the turn. Unless of course hes capable of 3 betting with a worse hand on the turn in which case i 3 bet the flop.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Are you raising for value here, to see where you are, whats the purpose? There are plenty od draws so you could definitly be ahead, he could have a hand like A8 etc... but you also might have two outs. I think the important question is, if he calls, what are you doing on the river? You will earn a free showdown from a medium queen, so don't convince yourself that he's go crap and try to valuebet.

Gabe
Old 04-03-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a player like this I would also do the straight call down for the same reasons, and obviously bet the river if he checks. I'm interested to see other opinions though. Anyone likes OP's line better?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the presence of the flush draw adds to the OP's line vs. a call-down, as he is slightly more likely not to be beaten yet. Not that he is even likely to be beaten, as there is a good chance an aggressive BB will c/r the PF raiser's auto-bet with any pair or draw once it becomes heads up.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:03 PM

I think its OK, but since he is LAG I'm leaning towards just call this down. You certainly cant fold, and I like raising the turn in this spot a lot, but I like calling better for two reasons. Since he's LAG, theres a decent chance he will three bet a draw on the turn, and you'll be in an uncomfortable spot. Also he's likely to follow through with a bluff on the river when he misses so you probably get the bet on the end most of the time when you are ahead.

Also I dont think you get him to lay down any hands with 6 outs with a raise, and you stop him from firing when he is on a pure bluff.