Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Watching opponents

This may sound like a stupid question but I play .50 / $1 or .25 / .50 and I don't even pay attention to bets preflop or what. I usually play multiple tables and/or am doing something else while playing. Is this a horrible idea? Do you guys do this too or do you give poker your full attention while playing? Sitting there waiting for cards decent to call gets annoying but I guess I could be trying to read the other players. How important is this?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Watching opponents

Extremely. You are just giving up money by not paying attention.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This may sound like a stupid question but I play .50 / $1 or .25 / .50 and I don't even pay attention to bets preflop or what. I usually play multiple tables and/or am doing something else while playing. Is this a horrible idea? Do you guys do this too or do you give poker your full attention while playing? Sitting there waiting for cards decent to call gets annoying but I guess I could be trying to read the other players. How important is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not paying attention = ABC poker. You can profitably play ABC poker at those stakes. You won't be making as much as possible (in terms of BB/100), but you will likely make more money (in terms of BB/hour) because you can play more hands and more tables when you only care about what you have.

It makes money, but it doesn't help you play any better.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes money, but it doesn't help you play any better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely true. I've made the decision to single or 2-table and focus on reads. I'm hoping it will result in a better understanding for eventual moves to 2/4 and above.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 PM

The effects are mitigated slightly if you are using PT and an accessory.

I have been known to play this way on occasion, only paying passing attention to each table. This is usually when I am clearing a bonus at a site I don't particularly care for, and just want it over with. I will play poker when I don't really feel like it, just to grind the bonus out of the way.

But in general, yes, it is a bad idea.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Makes sense to me =)

I am trying to learn this game. At first I thought poker might just be an easy way to make extra dough then I realized how fun this damn game is and that there's so much to it. I'm really getting into it and I guess I shoudl be focusing on getting better rather than trying to take crappy players money at first. Ugh I feel like such a hack =\
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 AM

I am usually doing something else as well but I'm always conscious of what people are doing. Its not like you have to look for facial twitches or anything. Note who will defend their blinds with any two, who will c/c you down with no pair/no draw, who will check-raise draws/monsters/nothing, what hands people tried to steal blinds with, and all kinds of important info that you're apparently leaving out there.