Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 03:33 AM

Default I let it go.

I let it go. No, I'm not talking about a hand. I'm talking about a well deserved verbal berating.

The hand in question was...I called a raise with 99 on the button in what ended up being a 7 handed pot.

The flop came 973, two diamonds. We capped it 5 ways on the flop. At this point, I think I was in the lead.

The turn was an 8, putting two hearts up there, as well as two diamonds. We capped it 5 ways. The guy who made it threebets here also made it threebets on the flop, so I think I'm still in the lead.

The river was the 5c, missing both flushes, but putting a 5789 on the board. It got checked to me, and I checked. Yes, I usually bet here, because anybody with a 6 would usually bet in a 29 big-bet pot. However, I thought that maybe a 6 would fear either T6 or JT, and maybe a hand like JT would check, going for the checkraise of a 6. So, anyhoo, I checked.

First person mucks, face down (later said 54d, and I believe him). Second person turns over T8o, for a pair of 8s. Third person turns over KTd, for a flush draw, turned straight draw, and river King high. Fourth person stares and stares and stares and stares.

And stares. And stares. Then goes to muck. Never showed his cards to the table. They are now face down, and going ot the muck.

Lady to his left sees his hand, and says "what are you doing, you have a straight?". He says "no, I needed a ten", she says "no, with your 6". He turns over J6o, and I quietly muck.

What I 'let go' was the verbal berating of the lady that she surely deserved. 29 Big Bet pot. Was a split second from being mine. And she opened her yap.

And I didn't say a thing. No, this isn't some sort of "I'm gonna let people walk all over me New Years Resolution". I was in a unique position. The ENTIRE table was on tilt. My EV in this game is roughly 0.93Through-The-Roofs.

And, well, i have this little trait where, when I get into a heated discussion with somebody, and I know I'm right, I get a little steamed. So, i decide to just not say anything right away, to keep it so that I'm THE player not on tilt.

I also tell myself to make sure I mention to her how out of line she was. As an aside, once the guy with J6o left the table (with 5 friggin racks!), the ENTIRE table berated her. she had no idea what she did wrong, and i was going to say something to her on my way out the door, but it was nice to see that the entire table decided to keep their mouths shut around the J6o-for-a-cap-on-a-973-flop-guy.

Just an interesting situation, I thought.

Josh
Old 01-07-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: I let it go.

Good Post- I dont think I would have been able to keep my mouth shut.

It sounds like she really didnt know how out of line she was, so I could forgive her. But that doesnt diminsh the frustration you experience at the time. Good job.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:43 AM

yea i wouldve REEMED her, jesus. Better not too though, and let everyone chew her out once the fishie has left.

Nice Hand.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:02 AM

Josh,

That's powerful stuff. Amazing.

Great post,
Joe Tall
Old 01-07-2005, 04:24 AM

Very costly missed bet on the river, you throw out one more bet and he mucks without his lady friends help.

Pretty ironic when you think about it...
Old 01-07-2005, 04:41 AM

Well, other than he may have called out of curiosity. or he may have realized it.

but when it's just him left to act, and it's heads up, and its 30 BB, he may have called.

cuz remember, he put in a cap with J6o on a 973 flop. And two bets preflop.

yeah, he may have folded, though. and, yeah...strange way of looking at it.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:13 AM

Sorry Josh. sucks when that crap happens. Way to keep your head though. I would have kept my mouth shut and gone on tilt anywayz. The other day i mucked the winner in a 1300 dollar pot after i called the river bet [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:20 AM

I am too tired to write but you did great, very inspiring. Its a tough game, we aint marines in Iraq and I dont want to compare but it takes a warriors heart sometimes, this game tests us. New ways to lose big pots and you were ready and took it in stride. Sweet.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:34 AM

Josh,

What a story! You win by having more class than most of us could ever dream of.

Regards,

~ Rick
Old 01-07-2005, 06:42 AM

Very good self control.

Very nice