Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: USC v ND

Oh yea. It's a good thing for Pete Carroll that sneak at the end worked. I'm not saying his job'd be in danger or anything - just that more than a few people wouldn't be too happy with him.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about OT? If your precious Leinert doesn't fumble the clock keeps ticking and the game is over. ND wins 31-28. Your star QB f'd it up and got lucky. It's the equivilent of catching runner-runner to make a higher quad hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch the replay... If Leinart doesn't fumble he lands in endzone. TD, we win.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yea. It's a good thing for Pete Carroll that sneak at the end worked. I'm not saying his job'd be in danger or anything - just that more than a few people wouldn't be too happy with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it...

Id say the % of making the field goal was around 85
The % of sneaking it in for the win was ~60
The % of winning in overtime was ~60

It was +EV
Old 10-16-2005, 10:49 AM

No way USC only wins 60% of the time in OT
Old 10-16-2005, 11:59 AM

Carroll said the reason he went for it was because he didn't like his teams chances in overtime.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your precious Leinert doesn't fumble the clock keeps ticking and the game is over

[/ QUOTE ]

If Leinert doesn't fumble, it might've been a TD.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:16 PM

I could have sworn the initial ruling on Leinart's scramble was that he was down inches short of the goal line, inbounds, and the clock ran out. Then the officials got together and correctly ruled on the fumble (at least that there was one ... not taking into consideration the spot it went out of bounds). So I'm pretty sure had Leinart not fumbled, the line judge was going to mark him short and that's the game.

Edit: I'm not saying Leinart didn't cross the goal line on the initial run. It looked darn close to me. All I'm saying is that I believe the officials' initial ruling was that he was short, there was no fumble, and the game as over, before they got together and realized there was a fumble.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your precious Leinert doesn't fumble the clock keeps ticking and the game is over

[/ QUOTE ]

If Leinert doesn't fumble, it might've been a TD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. Looking at the replay and his huge body was in the air and going foward. Would have been very hard for ND defenders to stop that guy in the air.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I could have sworn the initial ruling on Leinart's scramble was that he was down inches short of the goal line, inbounds, and the clock ran out. Then the officials got together and correctly ruled on the fumble (at least that there was one ... not taking into consideration the spot it went out of bounds). So I'm pretty sure had Leinart not fumbled, the line judge was going to mark him short and that's the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the case. Watch it again, the ref on the goal line immediately waves his arms to stop the clock. He was obviously ruling the ball out of bounds.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the case. Watch it again, the ref on the goal line immediately waves his arms to stop the clock. He was obviously ruling the ball out of bounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure I'll never get the chance to see it again ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I could easily be wrong with my interpretation of what happened.