Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Did I lick my sack on this play?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.16 BB
Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Did I lick my sack on this play?

I'd bet the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I lick my sack on this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was nasty. A lot of different ways to play this but I like it in this order (vs. unknown)...

1) Bet out, hope to 3-bet, lead turn
2) Checkraise flop, bet turn
3) Check call flop, bet turn

Basically, whatever you do bet out on the turn so it doesn't get checked through.

___1___
Old 07-10-2005, 01:53 AM

You're too concerned with extracting the maximum value, and it bit you in the ass. Slowplaying is rarely a good idea.

Your hand is likely way ahead now, but can definitely be outdrawn somewhat easily. I would check-raise the flop and cap if you get 3-bet, then lead the turn no matter what. This is the important part of the hand, anyway.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:56 AM

I see your point guys. Thanks
Old 07-10-2005, 01:57 AM

You will leave a lot of money on the table if you get tricky on this board: There's a preflop raiser who may have hit an Ace and will pay off. A flush draw will pay off too. Getting tricky here don't give them the opportunity to pay you off.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:27 AM

Yes you did.

Check raise and deny UTG+1 odds to draw at anything including a flush. A split two pair like this isn't invulnerable, you want to knock people out since any ace has 6 outs on the flop and 9 on the turn to win the hand. Plus the flush outs (especially dangerous since it's the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which makes the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] more likely). The only hand you have in bad shape in an underpair to the ace but you won't be getting a whole lot of action from them anyhow.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 AM

I check-raise the flop and bet the turn. If he's still in I strongly consider folding the river if he bets. I also fold this preflop. The flush possibility is pretty useless against two opponents and with positional disadvantage your ace becomes even weaker.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:11 AM

In a loose game, slowplaying is rarely correct. This hand is way too vulnerable to slowplay. There are lots of turn cards that will make you sick (3, 4, 5, any spade). You need to pile the money in now while you can be confident that you are in front. You might consider slowplaying two pair when the pot is small, your hand is not very vulnerable, and your opponents are capable of folding.

An example. One player who always bets when checked to limps, you complete in the small blind with K8s and the big blind checks. The flop is K 8 2 rainbow (note there are no possible draws). Now you can check and call on the flop and check-raise the turn.

Cartman
Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM

Ewwwww...

Raise the flop. UTG+1 doesn't like his hand will almost certainly fold for 2 bets, but maybe not one. You're out of position and the button is probably just betting anything on that flop since no one indicated strength.

You probably went for the check-raise on the turn and missed it because the button didn't want a caller and now that he has one and a 3-flush hit, he doesn't want to bet. If you'd raised the flop then led the turn, you might have won the pot right there.

On the river, I bet and fold to a raise. Checking indicates you don't have a spade and he can value-bet you. If you bet, you might even get a small spade to fold and if he calls you're still spending 1BB to see the showdown. If he raises, you don't want to see the showdown anyway.

If he can bluff-raise on the turn, god bless him, he's got balls.